NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb baseball team will end its four-game home stand with a midweek matchup versus Middle Tennessee on April 16 at 4 p.m. at Dugan Field.
The game has been moved up two hours to accommodate both teams travel schedules.
The Bisons (18-17, 3-6 ASUN) enter the contest with some momentum after sweeping Texas Southern over the weekend. Lipscomb scored double-digit runs and recorded double-digit hits in every game over the weekend while only allowing eight Texas Southern runs for the entire series.
Tuesday’s game will be available to stream on ESPN+ and live stats will also be available.
Lipscomb – RHP Erik Gutierrez (0-0, 4.20 ERA)
MTSU – RHP Tyler Holcombe (1-4, 4.61 ERA)
- This will be the second time the Bisons and Blue Raiders will face-off this season. Lipscomb came away with an 8-6 win in 11 innings back on March 19 in Murfreesboro.
- MTSU comes into the contest with an overall record of 15-21 on the season and is 9-6 in Conference USA play.
- The Blue Raiders won two out of three in their weekend series versus UAB and scored a total of 24 runs in those three games.
- Junior catcher Aaron Antonini provides a dangerous bat in the Blue Raider offense. Antonini is hitting at a clip of .307 and leads MTSU in hits (43), runs scored (28) and RBI (28).
- Tyler Holcombe has appeared in 15 games for MTSU this season, but will be making his first start on Tuesday. The Bisons faced Holcombe in the first matchup this season and the senior right-hander allowed two hits, two runs and a walk in 1.2 innings pitched.
AROUND THE HORN:
- The Bisons offense broke out of its slump in the series against Texas Southern by scoring a total of 39 runs on 42 hits.
- Lipscomb tied its second most runs scored in the first game versus Texas Southern with 17 runs.
- The Purple and Gold tallied the second most hits in a game this season with 15 in the series finale versus Texas Southern.
- Maddux Houghton continues to have a stellar sophomore campaign and leads the Bisons in hitting with a clip of .368, which is the second-best mark in the ASUN.
- Houghton has also showed off his power as he leads the team in triples with four, which is tied for the most in the ASUN, and is tied for the team lead in home runs with four.
- Cade Sorrells is tied with Houghton for the team-lead in home runs and has been the Bisons top run producer with 36 RBI, which ranks second in the ASUN.
- Chandler Chambers hit his first home run of the season, which was a grand slam, in the Bisons 17-2 win over Texas Southern.
- Chambers’ grand slam was the second the Bisons have hit this season and the first of his career.
- Gutierrez has settled into the role of the midweek starter for the Bisons and will be making his third straight start on a midweek game.
- In Gutierrez’s last start against Kentucky he went five innings with a no decision and allowed five hits, two earned runs and struck out four batters.
Lipscomb will return to conference play with a series at NJIT April 18-20. The series will begin on Thursday with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. CST.