AUGUSTA, N.J. – The Lipscomb baseball team picked up its second conference series win of the season after a 10-5 victory in a rubber match with NJIT on Friday afternoon.
The Bisons (21-18, 5-7 ASUN) came out ready to play and scored two runs in the top of the first to take an early lead. Haddon Adams led off the game with a double and moved to third on a sacrifice by Maddux Houghton. Cade Sorrells drew a walk and Zeke Dodson hit a single to drive in Adams and put Sorrells on third. Chris Bashlor then hit a deep fly to the outfield that was caught, but allowed Sorrells to tag and score.
Lipscomb continued its hot start and put up at least one run until the fifth inning. In the second, Adams hit his second double of the game to bring in Josh Martinez. In the third, Bashlor doubled in Sorrells and in the fourth Sorrells and Bashlor drove in two runs with RBI singles to make it 6-0.
The Purple and Gold got back to scoring in the sixth with two more runs. After Adams led off with triple to right, Houghton knocked him in with a single and advanced to second on a fielding error. Houghton then swiped third and a couple batters later Bashlor hit his second sacrifice fly of the game to score Houghton.
The Bisons didn’t stop scoring though. After NJIT scored its first run of the game on a single by Julio Marcano in the sixth, Lipscomb came right back in the seventh and matched with a run of its own off a single by Houghton and an error on the NJIT first baseman, which made it a 9-1 ballgame.
The Highlanders (12-20-1, 4-11 ASUN) were able to cut the Bisons eight-run lead in half with a grand slam by Matt Cocciadiferro, making it 9-5, but it was too little, too late as the Bisons went on to secure the win with an insurance run off the fourth Highlander error in the top of the ninth.
Senior Joshua Colon had a fantastic start and picked up his third win on the season for the Bisons. Over six innings of work the right-hander allowed five hits, just one earned run and struck out three batters.
AROUND THE HORN:
- This is the first conference series for the Bisons that has not involved a sweep this season.
- Adams reached base five times, recorded three extra base hits (two doubles and a triple) and scored four runs.
- Bashlor drove in four runs with two sacrifice flies, a double and a single.
- Houghton finished 3-for-5 at the dish with a RBI and a run scored.
- Sorrells went 2-for-4 with a RBI and three runs scored.
- The Bisons showed off their speed by stealing seven bases on the day (two by Adams, one by Dodson and four by Houghton).
- Lipscomb has scored double-digit runs in five of its last seven games.
The Bisons will return home to start an eight-game home stand with the second installment of the Battle of the Boulevard versus Belmont on Tuesday April 23. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.