|Facilities » Dugan Field|
Ken Dugan Field at Stephen Lee Marsh Stadium
Lipscomb baseball was one the earliest campus sport programs starting in the 1920's. Several men served as head coach of the Bisons in the early days of Lipscomb baseball. In 1939, under Coach Bob Neil, the Lipscomb baseball program captured the programs first-ever championship by winning the MVC Championship.
During World War II the Bison Baseball program was suspended before returning in 1946, the year Lipscomb went from a 2-year college to a 4-year program. In the 1950's the intensity began to increase with the amount of practice and games played by the Bison Baseball program.
In 1960, Ken Dugan, a former standout player, returned to serve as head coach of the Bison Baseball team. Dugan would set in motion one of the greatest coaching careers in Lipscomb athletic history. With the arrival of Ken Dugan the Lipscomb baseball program would never be the same. Ken Dugan would serve as the Bisons coach from 1960-1996 winning more than 1,000 games.
In 1966, the Bisons captured the programs first-ever District Championship and just missed advancing to the NAIA World Series. In 1971, the Bisons were able to win the District and Area Championship and advanced to the NAIA World Series where they finished in second place. The 1971 championship would begin a string of championships that would be unprecedented in Nashville collegiate baseball history.
In 1974, tragedy struck the Lipscomb Athletic family as James R. Byers, Chairman of the Lipscomb Board, passed away while preparing to watch the Bisons play at the NAIA World Series in St. Joseph, Missouri. An award was established to honor Brother Byers given each year to the top Lipscomb athlete.
In 1977 and 1979, Coach Ken Dugan led the Bisons to NAIA National Championships. The 1977 Championship took place in St. Joseph, Missouri, while the 1979 championship was played here in Nashville at Greer Stadium.
In 1982, Lipscomb named the school's baseball field, which was affectionately known as Onion Dell, to Ken Dugan Field. Onion Dell was adjacent to Belmont Boulevard on the site of the current Ezell Center, the Bison Baseball program had played at the site since the late 1940's. The first-ever baseball field was located near Bison square prior to the building of Willard Collins Auditorium and Burton Administration Building.
In 1984, the Lipscomb baseball program assembled one of the greatest teams to play collegiate baseball winning 34 consecutive games during the season. The consecutive wins mark would tie a collegiate baseball record.
In 1991, the Lipscomb baseball program opened up the current Dugan Field at a cost of $1 million dollars. The field is located along Granny White Pike and adjacent to Allen Arena.
On March 17, 2005, Lipscomb dedicated Ken Dugan Field at Stephen Lee Marsh Stadium. With the addition of stadium lights, night baseball came to the Lipscomb campus for the first time.
In the fall of 2007, the Lipscomb baseball field completed the most extensive renovation since it opened in 1991. Over $50,000 was spent to upgrade the playing facility with the addition of a new artificial turf halo that surrounds the home plate area of Dugan Field. The turf halo measures 45 feet tall and 60 feet wide and displays a 12-foot Power "L" that is purple trimmed in gold and black. A new 15-foot outfield-warning track was installed that circled the outfield fence and was extended up the left field and right field foul lines.