Friday, April 20, 2012
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team was defeated in the first round of the Atlantic Sun Championship Tournament on Friday morning when they fell 4-2 to South Carolina Upstate in Johnson City, Tenn.
The Bisons started the match off with a quick lead, taking the doubles point 2-1 to go up 1-0 heading into singles play.
Junior Oliver Strecker and sophomore Miguel Cortez fell at No. 1 to Matthias Kidler and Ramiro Blanco 8-4, while freshman Stuart Tierney and junior Tanner Brown picked up a win at No. 2, defeating Yvon Haessig and Pierre Vernin 8-5.
At No. 3, junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar secured the doubles point for the Bison with a 9-8 (7-5) win over Gonzalo Blanco and Jacob Darling.
Upstate quickly evened up with score with a win at No. 1 singles. Lipscomb’s Strecker quickly fell to R. Blanco 6-1, 6-0, and Salazar soon fell at No. 2 to Kidler 6-2, 6-0 to give Upstate a 2-1 lead.
Shaw then dropped his match at No. 4, losing to Haessig 6-1, 6-2.
Down 3-1, the Bisons posted a win at No. 6, where Tierney easily took down Darling 6-1, 6-3.
Unfortunately, the Bisons dropped another match at No. 3, giving Upstate the win and a spot in the second round.
At No. 3, freshman Daniel Hernandez was defeated by G. Blanco 6-4, 6-3.
Cortez’s match at No. 5 went unfinished following the completion of the match. He led the matchup 6-1, 5-5.
1. Matthias Kidler/Ramiro Blanco (UPST) def. Oliver Strecker/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-4
2. Stuart Tierney/Tanner Brown (LIP) def. Yvon Haessig/Pierre Vernin (UPST) 8-5
3. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) def. Gonzalo Blanco/Jacob Darling (UPST) 9-8 (7-5)
1. Ramiro Blanco (UPST) def. Oliver Strecker (LIP) 6-1, 6-0
2. Matthias Kidler (UPST) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-2, 6-0
3. Gonzalo Blanco (UPST) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
4. Yvon Haessig (UPST) def. Colby Shaw (LIP) 6-1, 6-2
5. Miguel Cortez (LIP) vs. Pierre Vernin (UPST) 6-1, 5-5, unfinished
6. Stuart Tierney (LIP) def. Jacob Darling (UPST) 6-1, 6-3
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|