|March 04, 2014||1st||2nd||1OT||2OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||ETSU|
|FG Percentage||.366 (30-82)||.362 (25-69)|
|3P FG Percentage||.255 (12-47)||.267 (8-30)|
|FT Percentage||.593 (16-27)||.775 (31-40)|
GADSDEN-GILLIARD - 10
GADSDEN-GILLIARD - 4
HAMPTON - 2
WILLIAMS - 2
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – March Madness is here for the Lipscomb men’s basketball team as the fifth-seeded Bisons are set to take on No. 4 seed ETSU in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic Sun Conference Men’s Basketball Championship on Tuesday night.
The 6 p.m. CT contest at the Mountain States Health Alliance Center will air on http://www.ASun.TV and be broadcast locally in the Nashville area on 94.9 Game 2 with Jonathan Seamon bringing all of the action over the air waves.
The eight-team tournament is being hosted around the league at the campus venue of the higher seed in a change from the format in 2013 that saw one location for the entire event.
A win on Tuesday night for the Bisons would mean either a Thursday trip to the semifinals to face No. 1 seed Florida Gulf Coast in Ft. Myers, Fla., or a return to the Music City to host Stetson on at Allen Arena.
- J.C. Hampton and Josh Williams were both honored on Monday as members of the 2014 Atlantic Sun Conference All-Freshman team. The duo are ranked first in second among all newcomers in league play as Hampton averages 15.3 points-per-game, while Williams is just a sliver behind at 15.2.
- Having taken on Mercer for the last three seasons in the A-Sun tourney, the Bisons are set to take on the Bucs, who Lipscomb has faced twice previously dropping both contests. The two in-state foes battled in the 2008 tournament hosted at Allen Arena with ETSU taking an 81-74 win and also in the 2007 event hosted in Johnson City that saw the Bucs come away with a 77-72 victory.
- Lipscomb is 7-13 overall against the Bucs in the NCAA era but the two teams have split the last six meetings including the two this season. The Bisons took an 82-80 victory on Jan. 9 at the MSHA Athletic Center behind a 34-point effort from Josh Williams that ranks as the highest regular-season scoring output in 2013-14 by an A-Sun player.
- Of the 20 meetings between Lipscomb and ETSU only one has been decided by a 10-point or greater margin. The Bisons claimed a 76-56 win in Nashville in 2006 but aside from that anomaly the series has been extremely tight.
- The Bisons enter the tournament 4-9 all-time in the event and have not claimed a victory since the 2009 season when Lipscomb downed Campbell 82-52 in Nashville. The Purple and Gold have entered the tourney as the No. 5 seed on two previous occasions (2005 and 2008) and are 3-2 in tournament action having won in the opening round both times previously.
- Twin brothers Malcolm and Martin Smith head into the game against the Bucs with both in range of 1,000 career points. Malcolm enters the contest with 976 points while Martin is only five points behind with 971. The duo would become the 42nd and 43rd Bisons all-time to reach the 1,000-point plateau.
- Along with their league All-Freshman honors, Hampton and Williams have etched their names in the Lipscomb record book as the top-two scoring freshmen in the NCAA era. Hampton owns the top spot with 425 points ahead of Williams’ 357. Both figures outpaced the 2013 A-Sun Freshman of the Year Stephen Hurt, who scored 344 points.