Bisons suffer rare home loss 99-91 in double overtime
Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jan. 12, 2008

Final Stats


The 121st meeting between Lipscomb and Belmont needed two overtime periods to decide the outcome. The Bruins from Belmont edged the Bisons 99-91 in Allen Arena to improve to 10-7 for the year and 2-1 in the Atlantic Sun. The Bisons are now 7-10 overall and 1-2 in the A-Sun.

Lipscomb found themselves down by 18 points in Saturday afternoon's contest, but the Bisons continued to fight back and took a 72-70 lead with less than two minutes to play in regulation. With 10 seconds to play in regulation, the Bisons controlled the game 75-72. However, Andy Wicke connected on his only three-pointer of the afternoon to tie the game with 8.2 seconds left.

The two teams were extremely fatigued heading into post regulation play. Belmont looked to have the edge, But Lipscomb's senior LaKory Daniels hit a late three-point shot to force a second overtime.

The Bisons seemed to run out of energy in the second overtime and could not pull within the Bruins who went on to win 99-91

"If Wicke jumps up there, and he doesn't make that shot-games over. The ball pinches in the rim, goes in, but it goes in. That's part of it," said head coach Scott Sanderson. "I was proud of the way they came back, but we can't spot a good team eighteen points and expect to win."

Belmont was playing this game without their leading scorer Justin Hare who was not with the team due to personal reasons. However, the Bruins had several players step up in his absence to make big plays. Shane Dansby had a double-double with 23 points and 12 rebounds. Matthew Dotson also contributed with 20 points of his own.

The Bisons needed a lot of production from some important Freshman in the comeback to force the first overtime. Adnan Hodzic led the way for the freshman with 17 points and 7 rebounds. Brandon Brown had 10 points and 6 rebounds. Josh Slater stepped up to score 13 points, pull down 5 rebounds, and contribute 7 assists in his 29 minutes of play.

"I thought Josh (Slater) came in and gave us a huge lift. He is a tough, hard nosed kid. He has just not been used to playing that much, that many minutes. He's got a big heart."

"They are learning on the fly right now as far right in the mix. They are going to be around here for a long time, and I can't fault those three freshmen's effort."

The freshmen were not the only Bison players who made plays in the loss to Belmont. Seniors Eddie Ard, LaKory Daniels, and Jason Hopkins showed tremendous leadership in the double overtime loss to Belmont. Hopkins had 7 points to go along with 9 rebounds. Daniels finished with 13 points that included a three-point shot that forced the second overtime. Ard led all scorers with 27 points and also pulled down 10 rebounds.

The Bruins shot 45.5 percent from the field and were 11-29 from behind the three-point line (38 %). The Bisons were 47 percent from the field and 7-26 from down town (27%). The Bruins improved to 10-7 overall and 2-1 in the A-Sun. Lipscomb is now 7-10 overall and 1-2 in the A-Sun.

The Bisons next action comes on Thursday night when USC Upstate travels to Allen Arena. Tip off is set for 7 p.m. CST. Coverage of this game can be heard on 900 AM or online with Atlantic Sun Television.