Bisons Lose a Close Game to ETSU 81-78
Saturday, February 16, 2008

Feb. 16, 2008


The Bisons put a five game winning streak on the line in front of 4,215 people Saturday afternoon in the Memorial Center on the Campus of ETSU. Lipscomb trailed by fifteen at one point in the first half but battled back to take the lead in the second half. However, the home team would not back down. ETSU went on to win the game 81-78 and snap the Bisons five game winning streak.

"We didn't shoot the ball particularly well," said head coach Scott Sanderson. "You can't shoot thirty-two percent, especially on the road, and even have a chance to win."

Lipscomb fell to 13-14 on the year, 7-6 in the Atlantic Sun conference. ETSU improved to 15-11 overall, 9-4 in the A-Sun.

The majority of the first half belonged to the Buccaneers who jumped out on the Bisons and extended their lead out to 15 points at around the 5:23 mark of the first half. The Bisons came back with vengeance. Lipscomb closed the half on an 11-2 run to cut the half time deficit to 6.

Going into intermission, ETSU led Lipscomb 37-31. The Bucs shot 37.8 percent from the field in the first half and were 5-12 from behind the arc (41.7%). The Bisons were 10-28 from the field in the first half (35.7%). Lipscomb was 4-13 from behind the three point line (30.8%).

Lipscomb continued on their scoring streak coming out of the locker room to extend their first half run to a 23-4 overall run at the 16:03 mark of the second half and take a 45-41 lead over the Buccaneers. This would prove to be the Bisons largest lead of the second half.

ETSU battled back to take control, and the two teams traded baskets to keep it close going into the closing minutes of play. With one minute left in the game, ETSU led the Bisons 74-70. However, the Bisons would not give up as they continued to make shots and force the Buccaneers to execute at the free-throw line.

ETSU was effective at the free-throw line throughout the game. The Bucs connected on 21 of 33 attempts at the line including two free-throws with 2 seconds remaining in the game to make the score 81-78. The Bisons called a time out to set up a play but could not execute as time expired.

Four Bisons scored in double figures against ETSU. Freshmen Adnan Hodzic, Jimmy Oden, and Josh Slater combined for 43 points. Hodzic had 10 points, Oden finished with 15 points including 10-10 from the free-throw line, and Slater led the Bisons with a team high 18 points and 9 rebounds. Senior LaKory Daniels went 5-9 from the three point line in his 17 point scoring effort.

The Buccaneers had three players to reach double figures in scoring. Kenyona Swader finished with 18 points, Micah Williams contributed with 14 points, and Andrew Reed had a game high 23 point performance.

The Bisons fell to 13-14 on the year, 7-6 in the Atlantic Sun with Saturday's loss to ETSU. The Buccaneers improved to 15-11 overall, 9-4 in the A-Sun.

Lipscomb's next action comes next Friday night in the second round of the Battle of the Boulevard. The Bisons will take on Belmont in the Curb Center at 6:30 p.m. CST. Coverage of this game can be heard on 900 AM or seen on CSS. It will also be televised for Atlantic Sun Television subscribers.