Bisons drop heartbreaker to FGCU 76-73
Monday, February 2, 2009
Bisons drop heartbreaker to FGCU 76-73

FORT MYERS, FLA. – January was a heartbreaking month for the Lipscomb University Bisons.  Six losses by an average of 3.7 points.

February didn’t start any better for the Bisons with a 76-73 loss to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles Monday evening in Alico Arena.

The problem with Lipscomb’s heartbreaking losses is that they are rather heartless losses.

“Right now we want the other team to lose instead of us wanting to win,” said Lipscomb head coach Scott Sanderson.   “The last four minutes of the game, we want them to lose the game to us instead of us going to win the game.  It is an absolute chore on the sideline to try to figure out whom to give the ball to go make a play for you at the end of the game.  Right now there isn’t anyone that wants the ball to make the play.”

Lipscomb was up two with 32 seconds remaining when Reggie Chambers hit the first of two free throws to cut Lipscomb’s lead to one.  But a poor Lipscomb box out allowed Derrick O’Neil to rebound and put back the shot and give FGCU the one-point lead.

Michael Lusk missed a layup with 12.9 seconds on the clock and the Bisons got the offensive rebound on a jump ball and called timeout.

Lipscomb didn’t immediately shoot the ball and instead waited until less than four seconds on the clock when Lusk drove the lane and was stripped of the ball.

“Josh wants to have the ball, but he turns the ball over a lot,” Sanderson said.  “I will always give it to Mike Lusk to drive it to the basket whether he makes a play or doesn’t make a play.  He is the best option we have until I’m ready to give it to Josh.”

Adnan Hodzic led the Bisons with 15 points.  Josh Slater (14), Michael Lusk (13), and Jordan Burgason (10) also scored in double figures. 

Lipscomb held a 43-26 advantage on the boards.  Hodzic led Lipscomb with nine while Lusk added eight.

The Bisons were plagued all night by turnovers.  Lipscomb turned the ball over 21 times.  FGCU capitalized with 23 points off turnovers.

The game was back-and-forth all evening.  The lead changed hands 15 times while the score was tied ten times.

The Bisons shot 25-of-52 (48.1 percent) on the evening.  FGCU was 28-of-61 (45.9 percent) from the field.

Lipscomb was 4-of-15 (26.7 percent) from the 3-point line.  FGCU was 4-of-13 (30.8 percent) from downtown.  Burgason was two-of-five from the 3-point line for the Bisons.

The Bisons was 19-of-28 (67.9 percent) from the free throw line.  FGCU shot 16-of-23 (69.6 percent).

Reed Baker led FGCU with 23 points.  O’Neil had 17 points and 12 rebounds.

Lipscomb drops to 8-13, 4-8 in the A-Sun.  Florida Gulf Coast is 10-15, 6-8 in the A-Sun.

The Bisons are back in action at Campbell next Monday in Buies Creek, N.C.   Game time is 6 p.m.

Jonathan Seamon and Benjamin Seamon will be on the call for the Lipscomb Sports Network.  Free online audio streaming is available at