Bisons extend win streak with 96-91 win over ETSU
Monday, February 16, 2009
Bisons extend win streak with 96-91 win over ETSU

NASHVILLE, TENN.  – When the Lipscomb University Bisons and East Tennessee State University met on Jan. 17 in Johnson City, Lipscomb had a 15-point halftime lead but committed 27 turnovers before eventually falling in overtime.

Monday evening in Allen Arena the Bisons held a 15-point lead at the half and held on for a 96-91 win against ETSU.

It was a wild affair with two technicals called on each team in the second half.

Lipscomb attempted 34 free throws in the second half, but only connected on 19 allowing ETSU to stay in the game.  Lipscomb was 25-of-44 (56.8 percent) from the free throw line for the game.  ETSU was 15-of-17 in the second half from the free throw line and 24-of-28 (85.7 percent) for the game.

Jimmy Oden led Lipscomb with 19 points.  He was 13-of-18 from the free throw line.

Michael Lusk finished with 16 points, four rebounds, and four assists.  He was perfect from the floor and four-of-four from the 3-point line.  Lusk fouled out with 7:50 when he was called with a foul along with a technical.

Josh Slater barely missed a triple double with 10 points, 10 assists, and seven rebounds

ETSU never took the lead in the second half, but cut the game to two points (72-70) with 5:33 remaining.  Lipscomb used a 7-0 run to make it a 79-70 game with 3:34 left.

ETSU cut it two five with 2:33 remaining before the Bisons used a 5-0  run to stretch their lead back to ten with 1:25 on the clock.   Oden connected on four free throws with less than a minute to go extend Lipscomb’s lead to 13 with 36 seconds left.

ETSU was down by eight with ten seconds left in the game.  Adam Sollazzo had a dunk with four seconds left to cut it six.  Then Brian Wright threw the ball out of bounds on the inbound.  Tiggs connect on a three with 2.2 seconds left to bring the game to three, 94-91.  Jimmy Oden hit two free throws to seal the game.

ETSU outscored Lipscomb 12-4 in the last 36 seconds.

The win was Lipscomb’s fourth win in the last eight days.  It is Lipscomb’s sixth win in the last eight games.  Lipscomb snapped a seven-game losing streak to ETSU.

Lipscomb had 25 assists on 29 field goals.  Oden had seven assists and Lusk had four to go along with Slater’s ten.

Adnan Hodzic finished with 12 points in just 18 minutes of action due to foul trouble.  Wright (15) and Thomas Pfaff (10) also scored in double-figures for the Bisons.

Kevin Tiggs finished with 26 points and Mike Smith added 20 to lead ETSU.

Lipscomb shot 29-of-55 (52.7 percent) from the floor.  ETSU was 30-of-72 (41.7 percent) from the field.

The Bisons were 13-of-24 (54.2 percent) from the 3-point line.  ETSU was 7-of-23 (30.4 percent) from downtown.

Lipscomb improves to 12-13, 8-8 in the A-Sun.  ETSU drops to 17-9, 11-5 in the A-Sun.

Lipscomb is back in action Friday evening in Macon, Ga., against Mercer.  The game will be televised on CSS and tip at 6 p.m.

Jonathan Seamon and Benjamin Seamon will be on the call for the Lipscomb Sports Network.  Free online audio streaming is available at

Article by Trevor Garrett of the Lipscomb Athletic Office of Media Relations