Bisons on the Air
Online Radio: Lipscomb Sports Network, www.LipscombSports.com (Jonathan Seamon, play-by-play; Benjamin Seamon, color analyst)
Online Video: ASun.TV (Kennesaw State audio feed)
The Lipscomb University Bisons (2-4, 1-0 A-Sun) seek to open conference play with two wins for the first time in three years as they take on the Kennesaw State Owls (3-4, 0-1 A-Sun) Saturday evening. Game time is 6:30 p.m. CST at the Convocation Center in Kennesaw, Ga.
Lipscomb beat the Mercer Bears 98-89 Thursday evening behind a strong offensive display. Jordan Burgason had a career high 31 points on eight 3-pointers. Adnan Hodzic had 25 points and Josh Slater had a career high 24 points. Hodzic had a game high nine rebounds.
Kennesaw lost to Belmont 75-70 in overtime Thursday evening. Markeith Cummings led all scorers and rebounders with 32 points and 11 rebounds. Kennesaw State shot 28-of-75 (37.3 percent) from the field and 12-of-39 from beyond the arc.
Last year the Bisons won both meetings between the teams. Lipscomb won 90-78 in Allen Arena on Jan. 26. Lipscomb had five players score in double-figures and had 27 assists on 30 turnovers. Lipscomb won 61-44 in the Convocation Center on Feb. 22 behind double-doubles by Hodzic and Brandon Brown.
- Lipscomb holds a 4-3 series advantage against Kennesaw. Lipscomb won its first game (1-3) in the Convocation Center last year. Hodzic averages 19 points and 9.5 rebounds in two games in the Convocation Center.
- Lipscomb head coach Scott Sanderson needs one more win to reach the 250 career win plateau
- Hodzic ranks 2nd in the A-Sun in scoring (22.3) and 4th in rebounding (8.2) while shooting 65.2 percent for the 2nd best mark in the league.
- Hodzic ranks 21st in the nation in scoring
- Slater ranks 4th in the A-Sun in scoring (17.3), 2nd in steals (2.17), 3rd in assists (4.67), and 9th in rebounding (5.8)
- Hodzic has scored in double figures in 33 consecutive games, a Lipscomb NCAA-era record.
- Burgason leads the A-Sun in 3-point shooting hitting 57.1 percent of his attempts and hits 3.2 per game from downtown.
Last Time Out
It was a career night for several Lipscomb players as the Bisons opened Atlantic Sun Conference action with a 98-89 victory against the Mercer Bears Thursday evening in the University Center.
Sophomore Jordan Burgason hit eight 3-points scoring 31 points, both career highs. He becomes the sixth Bison since Lipscomb moved to the NCAA to score 30 or more points in a game.
Junior Josh Slater also tallied a career-high with 24 points. He finished with six assists and three steals in 32 minutes of action.
Preseason all-conference selection Adnan Hodzic scored 25 points and barely missed third double-double of the season finishing with nine boards. The junior was 10-of-11 from the field and five-of-six from the free throw line.
Sophomore Brian Wright finished with a season-high 13 points and had seven rebounds. Freshman Milos Kleut scored his first two points as a Bison and grabbed two boards in seven minutes of action off the bench.
Freshman guard Jacob Arnett delivered a solid performance off the bench for the Bisons with four rebounds and three assists with no turnovers in 11 minutes of action.
Mercer’s largest lead was a 34-22 advantage with 6:50 left. The Bisons were able to tighten the gap and make it a 45-38 game at halftime. James Florence had 21 points at the break.
The Bisons opened the second half with five critical defensive stops and tied the game at 45.
With Lipscomb down 57-53 with 14:05 left, Jordan Burgason drained a 3-pointer to start a 17-2 run for the Bisons over the next 4:49.
Lipscomb - Mercer Postgame Notes
- The Bisons entered the game ninth in the A-Sun for free throw percentage hitting 62.7 percent of their attempts. Lipscomb shot 20-of-24 from the charity stripe against Mercer.
- Lipscomb has trailed at halftime in each game this year
- Lipscomb outrebounded Mercer 43-33. Mercer entered leading the conference in rebounding averaging 44 boards per contest.
- Lipscomb outrebounded its opponent in each game this year and is outrebounding opponents by 7.5 boards per game.
Brown on the Boards
Junior Brandon Brown has 413 career rebounds. This tally puts him fifth among active players in the Atlantic Sun
Good from the Field
Adnan Hodzic is a clear leader among active Atlantic Sun players for field goal percentage with at least 400 attempts. Hodzic is shooting .596 from the field. Then next closest A-Sun player is Ayron Hardy who is connecting on .552 of his shots.
Last season Hodzic scored a career high 30 points on 14-of-16 shooting on Jan. 17 at ETSU. He is the first Lipscomb player to have such a game since the Bisons joined the Atlantic Sun in 2003.
Adnan Hodzic has scored in double figures in 33 consecutive games. The streak is the longest in Lipscomb’s NCAA-era.
Lipscomb athletic director Philip Hutcheson holds Lipscomb’s all-time record as he scored in double figures in every game he played for the Bisons (155).