Last second shot by ETSU beats the Bisons 71-69
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Last second shot by ETSU beats the Bisons 71-69

Last second shots haven’t gone well for the Lipscomb Bisons this season.

But the most frustrating thing for coach Scott Sanderson was that Thursday night’s game with ETSU at Allen Arena should have never been decided by a last-second 3-pointer by Jarvis Jones.

With three seconds left and the Bisons ahead 69-68 Tommy Hubbard missed a shot. The Bisons were unable to get control of the ball setting up the game-winning situation.

“They shot the ball, we blocked it and we didn’t get the rebound,” Sanderson said. “The ball rolls around the floor and we don’t get it. The ball goes out of bounds on us and they get an extra opportunity. If we get the loose ball the game is over.

“We still had a foul to give. We knew it. But we couldn’t get to anyone.”

The shot by Jones, who connected on three 3-pointers, gave ETSU a 71-69 win.

The Bisons are 9-9, 6-3 in the conference. ETSU is 10-9, 6-2 in the conference. The loss ended a six-game home winning streak for the Bisons.

Saturday afternoon at 3:15 the Bisons will face Campbell, which fell to 11-6, 6-2 in the A-Sun after losing to Belmont 66-55.

“We have to get over this game, and we have to get over it in a hurry,” Sanderson said. “I told them there is no sense in stewing over this game. This game is done. We have to come back and learn what to do against Campbell.”

The Bisons spent most of the second half chipping away at ETSU’s lead. ETSU led 37-30 at the end of the first half. They went on an 11-0 run that turned a 22-17 Bisons lead unto a 28-22 ETSU advantage.

“We were up 19-9 and we don’t play very good the last half of the first half,” Sanderson said. “That really got us in a bind.”

Junior forward Michael Teller kept the Bisons close in the second half with a series of 3-pointers. He hit four-of-five 3-point attempts, three in the second half, to tie with junior guard Josh Slater for the team lead in scoring with 16 points.

“Teller had some big threes, some big stops and couple of stick backs,” Sanderson said. “We talked this week. I was more upset with him about his defensive liabilities than his inability to make shots.

“I told him to focus on the defensive part and the rebounding part. If you make shots, you make shots. I didn’t want him to focus on the wrong end.”

In the second half the Bisons chipped away at ETSU’s lead.

Slater hit a layup to give the Bisons a 67-66 edge with 1:51 left, their first lead of the second half.

ETSU pulled ahead 68-67 on a shot by Tommy Hubbard.

With 17 seconds left Slater sank a pair of free throws to give the Bisons a 69-68 advantage.

Also in double figures for the Bisons was junior center Adnan Hodzic with 13 points, keeping his double figures scoring streak alive at 45 games. Sophomore guard Jordan Burgason added 12, hitting four-of-11 3-point attempts.

ETSU placed five players in double figures. Micah Williams led all scorers with 18 points. Jones finished with 17. Justin Tubbs chipped in 13 followed by Isiah Brown with 11 and Tommy Hubbard with 10.

The Bisons held a 37-29 advantage on the boards. Hodzic and Slater each had eight rebounds for the Bisons. ETSU’s Brown grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.

Written by Mark McGee, Senior Publisher/Director of Media Relations