Skip to main content

Men's Basketball > News

Lipscomb triumphs over Austin Peay in overtime 104-101
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Lipscomb triumphs over Austin Peay in overtime 104-101

NASHVILLE – Senior center Adnan Hodzic scored 33 points and brought down 16 rebounds as the Lipscomb University Bisons defeated Austin Peay State University 104-101 in overtime Thursday night in Allen Arena.

In the first meeting between the two schools located less than 50 miles apart in nearly 50 years, the Bisons came back from being down five with 39 seconds remaining to tie the game on a layup by senior guard Josh Slater with 0.1 seconds left.

“I liked our guy’s ability to keep competing,” Lipscomb coach Scott Sanderson said.  “We were up the whole first half and they were up the whole second half.  We keep battling and battling.  I was proud of the way we competed and didn’t give up.”

Lipscomb was first to score in overtime as Hodzic put back a missed trey by Jordan Burgason.  On the next possession Burgason hit a three to put the Bisons up 92-87.  Hodzic scored layups on the Bisons next three possessions to give Lipscomb a 98-89 lead with 54 seconds left.

Tyshwan Edmondson hit two threes in the final 21 seconds to close the gap, but the Bisons connect on their final five free throws to secure the victory.

Hodzic simply dominated Peay with 33 points and 16 rebounds.  He shot 12-of-15 from the floor and made all nine of his free throw attempts.

“I thought he was a monster in the paint,” said Sanderson.  “He got to the free throw line and made his free throws.  He had some major rebounds in traffic.  He seemed like he played better as the night went on and we needed every basket.”

The Bisons almost gave the game away on turnovers committing 22 which the Governors converted into 29 points.

Both squads entered the contest with strong rebounding advantages to start the season, but the Bisons handily controlled the boards 42-32.

“Austin Peay was outrebounding their opponents by ten and getting 15 offensive rebounds,” Sanderson said.  “Tonight we played 45 minutes and they got nine offensive boards.”

Lipscomb took its largest lead of the game, nine points, on a three by Josh Slater with 4:30 left in the first half.  An 11-3 Peay run cut the Bisons lead to one point, 38-37, with 57 seconds left before halftime.  

Peay’s Melvin Baker hit a three with 10:54 to play to give the Governor’s their largest lead of the game, 63-56.

The momentum shifted in the Bisons favor when Austin Peay’s Josh Terry was whistled for an intentional technical with 48.4 seconds left.   Hodzic had just made a layup to make it a four-point contest prior to the technical.  Burgason made one of two freebies to cut the deficit to three, 85-82.  

After two free throws by Austin Peay, Burgason connected from downtown with 29 seconds left to put the Bisons down two.  The Governors then missed four consecutive free throw attempts.

Hodzic rebounded the last miss before passing off to Slater who drove for a right-handed layup to tie the game and force overtime.

Slater finished with 22 points, eight rebounds, and seven assists.  Burgason connected on five three-pointers to finish with 19 points.  

Lipscomb shot 52.5 percent (32-of-61) overall and hit 34.5 percent (10-of-29) of its long ball attempts.  The Bisons were 30-of-40 from the charity line.   Austin Peay shot 52.2 percent and was 25-of-38 from the line.

Edmondson paced six Governors in double-figures with 21 points.  Anthony Campbell had 20 points with ten of those coming at the free throw line.  

The Bisons return to action Monday night in Waco, Texas, at 7 p.m. against the Baylor Bears.  Jonathan Seamon and Benjamin Seamon will be on the call for the Lipscomb Sports Network.