Bisons best Campbell 81-76 with strong shooting, rebounding
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Bisons best Campbell 81-76 with strong shooting, rebounding

BUIES CREEK, N.C. - The Bisons went on the road and snapped a two-game losing streak with an 81-76 win over Campbell at the Pope Center.  

Bisons head coach Scott Sanderson said he was proud of how his team found a way to win.

“We haven’t played well in spurts,” Sanderson said.  “We are not playing well for long periods of time.  You build character through adversity.  Adversity as far as basketball is concerned.  We have had guys who were making three or four threes a year jump up and make three or four of them in a game.  That stuff has happened to us a lot this year.  It is those kinds of things, but again we found a way.”

Two factors that affected the Bisons in the first half were poor free-throw shooting and the play of Campbell’s junior forward Eric Griffin.  The Bisons shot only 40 percent from the free-throw line in the first half (4-of-10).  Griffin, who entered Thursday’s contest with only 11 made three-pointers on the year, knocked down 5-of-6 long range shots in the first half.  

“Griffin has made 11 threes all year long and was shooting 29 percent from three,” Sanderson said.  “That is just the world we are living in right now.  If he makes one, then that is on me.  If he makes two, that is on me.  After that, the rest of them are on you.  Close out long and get to him.”

Senior center Adnan Hodzic led the Bisons in scoring with 22 points and five rebounds.  Sophomore guard Brandon Barnes and junior guard Jordan Burgason both added 12 points.  Seven Bisons finished with six or more points.  

“Brandon Barnes came in and I thought gave us a big lift,” Sanderson said.  “Jacob Arnett made some big free-throws and some timely buckets.  I thought Brandon Brown did some nice things for us.  We are just excited about getting that win.”

Campbell was led by junior forward Eric Griffin who paced all scorers with 28 points.  Senior guard Junard Hartley added 20 points while also dishing out nine assists.  

Lipscomb jumped out to an early 4-0 lead and stayed in control throughout the first 10 minutes of the game.  However, the Fighting Camels took their first lead at the 9:12 mark and held on to it throughout the remainder of the half.  At the break the Bisons trailed 42-38.  

In the second half, the Bisons fell down by their largest deficit of the game at the 18:49 mark when Campbell took a 47-38 lead.  However, Lipscomb battled back and changed the momentum with a 22-6 scoring run.  Lipscomb held Campbell to just two free-throws from the 15:26 mark to the 8:28 mark in the second half.   The Bisons took their first lead in the second half with just over ten minutes to play and led the rest of the game.  

“Mainly it was just our energy and guys talking to each other and communicating,” Sanderson said.  “When they didn’t score during that stretch that makes them not as good defensively because they are having to get back in transition.“

Both the Fighting Camels and the Bisons shot over 54 percent from the field.  Lipscomb finished six-of-15 from downtown while Campbell connected on eight-of-12.  The Bisons finished 19-of-32 from the free-throw line while Campbell went 16-of-22.  

Lipscomb out-rebounded the Fighting Camels 32-23.  

With the win, Lipscomb improved to 15-10 (10-6) and Campbell dropped to 11-14 (5-10).

The Bisons will get a week off before taking on USC Upstate in Allen Arena on Feb. 17th at 7 p.m. central.  Coverage on the Lipscomb Sports Network will begin at 6:40 p.m.