Bisons lose to ETSU in double overtime
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Bisons lose to ETSU in double overtime

The Lipscomb Bisons closed out the home portion of the regular season on a disappointing note falling 102-95 to ETSU Saturday night in double overtime.

It was a game that often brought the crowd to its feet on several occasions as both teams battled to the end.

It was “Senior Night” and the Bisons honored center Adnan Hodzic, guard Josh Slater, forward Michael Teller and forward Brandon Brown. Hodzic and Slater both fouled out of the game in the second overtime.

Sanderson was frustrated by the rebounding margin. ETSU held a 51-38 edge, including 19 offensive rebounds.

“They battled but we just couldn’t get over the hump,” Sanderson said. “If you had told me before the game they were going to outrebound us 51-38 and shoot 43 free throws I would have told you we were going to get beat in regulation. That’s hard to overcome."

ETSU hit 32-of-43 free throw attempts compared to 20-of-27 by the Bisons.

“Those were obviously big stats,” Sanderson said. “They kept posting mismatches especially when we were fouling out.

“We played zone in the first overtime and they made three ridiculous long, long 3-point shots. You don’t really mind giving those up. But that’s why we went back to man-to-man. We were trying to stay out of foul trouble and keep Adnan and Josh on the floor by playing zone.”

ETSU played most of the game without guard Mike Smith, one of the top players for the Bucs.

Slater and ETSU guard Micah Williams tied for the game high with 27 points each.

“Josh can make big plays for us and we obviously need him,” Sanderson said. “It was a great game and ETSU deserved to win.”

Also in double figures for the Bisons was Hodzic who recorded a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Guards Jacob Arnett and Jordan Burgason also had 12 points apiece.

Forward Brandon Brown tied Hodzic for the team lead in rebounds with 10.

Forward Isiah Brown added 22 points for ETSU and also finished with a double-double with a game-high 11 rebounds.

ETSU guard Justin Tubbs chipped in with 20. Guard Adam Sollazzo finished with 14.

The Bisons led 41-37 at the half.

They opened up a 10-point lead, 50-40, in the second half on a 3-point shot by Burgason with 16:50 left to play.\

The Bisons are 16-11 overall, 11-7 in the A-Sun. ETSU is 20-10, 15-4 in the conference.

The final two regular season games for the Bisons are on the road. They travel to Kennesaw State Thursday and Mercer Saturday.

“Our guys right now need to get some rest and get healed up a little bit,” Sanderson said. “They are going to be hard-fought games in Georgia.”

Written by Mark McGee, Senior Publisher/Director of Media Relations.