December 10, 20111st2nd1OT Final
Tennessee Tech30471289
Stats at a GlanceLIPTTU
FG Percentage.485 (33-68) .439 (29-66)
3P FG Percentage.444 (12-27) .364 (8-22)
FT Percentage.600 (9-15) .742 (23-31)
Offensive Rebounds1415
Defensive Rebounds3025
Total Rebounds4440
Bench Points3323
PointsBOYD - 23
ReboundsGLENN - 11
AssistsSMITH - 6
StealsSMITH - 2
BlocksGLENN - 2
Tennessee Tech tops Lipscomb 89-87 in overtime
Saturday, December 10, 2011
Tennessee Tech tops Lipscomb 89-87 in overtime

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – Sophomore Robert Boyd (23) and junior Deonte Alexander (21) had career scoring highs for the Bisons in an 89-87 overtime loss to Tennessee Tech Saturday night at the Eblen Center in Cookeville.

Lipscomb seemed to control the game after taking a 13-point first half lead and was up 38-30 at the break.  Lipscomb shot 50 percent in the opening period but nearly half of Tennessee Tech’s points were off 12 Bison turnovers.

Kevin Murphy, the Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Year, and Jud Dillard started to swing the momentum in the Golden Eagle’s direction with several easy baskets throughout the opening part of the second half.

Tennessee Tech went on an 18-6 run using five 3-pointers to take a 66-60 advantage with 7:33 to play.

“I felt that one stretch in the second half we gave them some baskets in transition with no defense,” said head coach Scott Sanderson. “When we went zone, they stepped up and made some big shots.”

Murphy finished with 29 points, all but five coming in the second half.  Dillard had 22 points and made ten free throws.

A pair of jumpers by Boyd brought Lipscomb to within one with 3:46 left.  Tech would push the lead back to five points before the Bisons countered with triples by Alexander and Boyd to give Lipscomb the 74-73 lead with 1:25 to play.

Two free throws and a layup would put Tennessee Tech back on top by three with under thirty seconds remaining.  Boyd nailed a 3-pointer from the corner in front of Lipscomb’s bench with 14.8 seconds left to tie the game at 77 and force overtime.

In overtime Tech took a four-point lead on free throws after the Bisons fouled on the opening two possessions.  The Golden Eagles went on to score 9 of its 12 points from the line.

Lipscomb never led in overtime but Alexander hit a three with 6.4 seconds left to bring Lipscomb within one, 88-87.  The Bisons called timeout and then fouled Murphy.  He hit his first free throw and missed the second.  The Bisons were unable to get a shot off before time expired.

Tennessee Tech had 23 made free throws on 31 attempts.  Lipscomb was 9-of-15 from the line.

Senior Justin Glenn had his third double-double of the season with 10 points and 11 rebounds.  Lipscomb led 44-40 on the boards.

Lipscomb plays its fifth and final game of the season against Ohio Valley Conference opponents Thursday against Murray State in Murray, Ky.  Game time is 7 p.m. 

The Lipscomb Sports Network presented by Jackson will carry the game on and 102.1 The Light in Nashville.