Sunday, January 01, 2012
Bison on the Air
Radio: WPRT 102.5 The Game (Jonathan Seamon, play-by-play)
The Lipscomb Bison usher in 2012 in Florida with their fifth straight road game Monday at 6:15 p.m. central time against the Jacksonville Dolphins in Swisher Gymnasium.
Jacksonville leads the series 11-7 and has won the last four meetings in Jacksonville. Lipscomb’s only win in Jacksonville was a 75-67 decision on Jan. 7, 2006. The Bison have lost eight straight road games dating to last season.
The Bisons will try to snap a four-game losing streak. They haven’t lost five in a row since a stretch from Jan. 5-19, 2009.
Lipscomb hasn’t played in 11 days after falling 81-64 at Iowa State on Dec. 21. Returning to his hometown of Ames, senior Jordan Burgason hit a Lipscomb NCAA era record nine 3-pointers scoring a team season-high 30 points. It was the highest point tally in the A-Sun this season and one point shy of his career record. Burgason’s nine threes tied him for the second most in the NCAA this season. The Bison were down seven points with 4:39 to play but could only find one basket in the final stretch.
- Lipscomb is 0-6 on the road while Jacksonville is 1-1 at home.
- Sophomore guard Robert Boyd, who averaged 11.2 points per game, has been ruled academically ineligible and won't return to Lipscomb for the spring semester.
- With the loss of Boyd, Lipscomb now has just three players from last year’s squad. Burgason, Jacob Arnett, and Justin Glenn accounted for 16.6 points per game last year.
- Burgason was named the Atlantic Sun Player of the Week for the week of Dec. 20-27 for his performance at Iowa State. It was his first career weekly award.
- Despite playing in nine games Burgason is tied for the A-Sun lead for 3-pointers made at 35. His average of 3.9 made/game leads the conference
- Burgason has hit 15 of his last 22 3-point attempts (68.2% over three games). On the season he shoots 27.6 percent inside the arc and 51.5 percent beyond the arc.
- Deonte Alexander is 7-of-27 (25.9%) from the floor in the last two games after hitting 63.6 percent (14-of-22) in the prior three games.
- After hitting 60.7 percent (17-of-28) of his shots in the first four games of the year, Jacob Arnett is shooting 30.6 percent (22-of-72) in the last ten games.
- Damarius Smith has four games of eight or more assists in the last eight games
- Damarius is shooting 28.6 percent (8-of-28) in the last five games.
- Justin Glenn shoots 75.7 percent averaging 11.3 points in wins. He shoots 50.0 percent in losses scoring 6.4 points.
- Glenn averages 8.4 rebounds per game since Thanksgiving
- Martin Smith played a season-high 27 minutes at Iowa State. He’s connected on 60 percent (9-of-15) of his shots in the last three games.
- Lipscomb’s loss to No. 24 Murray State dropped the Bison to 0-7 all-time against ranked opponents
- Deonte Alexander was named the Atlantic Sun Conference Newcomer of the Week for the week of Dec. 6-12. It was the third straight week that a Bison was honored with the award. He averaged 15.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in two games while shooting 61.1 percent from the floor and 60 percent the 3-point line.
- Glenn has 18 blocks on the season for the 5th best average in the A-Sun (1.3). He swatted 10 shots all season. Glenn had 27 blocks his freshman season at Centenary.
- Jordan Burgason is Lipscomb’s NCAA era leader in 3-pointers attempted (575)
- Glenn had a career-high 15 rebounds against Kennesaw State (12/3) for the 8th best performance in the NCAA era.
- Malcolm Smith had his first career double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds against Kennesaw State (12/3)
- Malcolm Smith was 10-of-10 at the line against Mercer (12/1). It was the 5th time in the NCAA era a Bison was perfect from the line with ten or more attempts.
- Lipscomb shot 17-of-18 from the free throw line against Mercer (12/1) for its best day at the line since hitting 21-of-22 attempts (95.5 percent) against Florida Atlantic on Jan. 19, 2005.
- Zavion Williams was named the Atlantic Sun Conference newcomer of the week for the week of 11/22-11/28. He scored 28 points against SIU Edwardsville and averaged 13.0 points in three Lipscomb wins.
- Damarius Smith had a career-high nine assists against Austin Peay (11/28) while committing no turnovers. It was the most assists without a turnover for the Bison since Josh Slater had ten assists against ETSU on Feb. 16, 2009. Smith also had nine assists against Kennesaw State (12/3)
- Zavion Williams’ 28 points against SIU Edwardsville was the most scored in the Atlantic Sun Conference this season by a freshmen and most by a Lipscomb freshman since Jeff Dancy scored 38 at Tennessee State on Jan. 14, 2002. His 13 free thows made were the most by a Lipscomb freshman in the NCAA era
- Jacob Arnett recorded back-to-back career-highs against Gardner-Webb (13) and Illinois (17).