November 30, 20131st2ndFinal
Stats at a GlanceLIPGU
FG Percentage.271 (16-59) .441 (26-59)
3P FG Percentage.179 (5-28) .259 (7-27)
FT Percentage.522 (12-23) .647 (11-17)
Offensive Rebounds1313
Defensive Rebounds2435
Total Rebounds3748
Bench Points620
PointsSMITH - 19
ReboundsSMITH - 10
AssistsHAMPTON - 3
StealsWILLIAMS - 2
BlocksLUBICK - 2
Slow second half sinks Bisons against Georgetown
Saturday, November 30, 2013
Slow second half sinks Bisons against Georgetown

WASHINGTON  –  A slow start to the second half proved costly for the Lipscomb men’s basketball team in a 70-49 nonconference loss to homestanding Georetown on Saturday at the Verizon Center in the nation’s capital.

“Today was a tough matchup for us,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “We are undersized and outmanned in every game we play physically.  Today’s game was exponential in that regard.

“For us to stay in a game like today’s game, we have to make shots.  When we go 5-for-28 (from three), we’re not going to be able to do that.  Nobody is that plays Georgetown when you shoot 5-for-28.”

After combining for 50 points on Monday night against UT-Martin, Lipscomb twin forwards Malcolm and Martin smith continued solid play in the opening half.  Malcolm led all scorers at the break with 12 points and added in eight rebounds including three offensive boards while Martin added eight points.

The first half of the contest saw both squads struggle from the field as Lipscomb shot 30.8 percent on 8-of-26 shooting while Georgetown was nearly as bad with a 10-for-31 effort equaling 32.3 percent.  The lid was definitely on the basket from deep as the Bisons hit only 1-of-9, while the Hoyas went 2-for-16 beyond the arc.

“We felt like we got the right guys to take the majority of the threes for them in the first half and they didn’t go in,” said Alexander. “So we were able to keep the game close.”

After the Bisons went on a 7-0 run to close the game to a 27-26 deficit at halftime, the Hoyas answered right after the break with a 13-0 run of their own.  Lipscomb would pull within single digits on a 3-pointer by Martin Smith with 13:22 to play, but that would be as close as the Bisons would come.

Georgetown won the battle of the boards 48-37 but the Bisons held a narrow 11-8 in the turnover battle as both teams took care of the ball.

Malcolm Smith finished as the game’s leading scorer with 19 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.  Martin Smith ended the game as the only other Bison in double figures scoring 16. 

After 23 days on the road, the Bisons finally return home on Thursday to take on Tennessee Tech at 6 p.m. at Allen Arena.  The contest will air on ESPN3 with Steve Selby and Justin Seamon handling the call.  The game can also be heard on 94.9 Game 2 with Jonathan Seamon, Jay Walton and Jared Revlett behind the mic.

To purchase tickets, call 615-966-HERD (4373) or visit