Wednesday, January 08, 2014
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team continues Atlantic Sun Conference competition on Thursday night making the trek to in-state foe ETSU for a 6 p.m. contest at the Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center.
The contest is set to air on 94.9 Game 2 with Jonathan Seamon calling the action. The game will also be broadcast on http://www.asun.tv
- Despite being plagued with a stomach virus, junior forward Martin Smith managed to play 33 minutes and score nine points in Monday night’s loss. It was the first contest in 10 games taht Smith did not score in double figures for the Bisons. The Clarksville native averages 17.1 points per contest overall to the lead the team and ranks second in the A-Sun.
- Freshman guard J.C. Hampton continues to lead all A-Sun freshmen in scoring with a 13.9 ppg average. That figure ranks Hampton tied for 20th nationally in scoring by freshman guards.
- Freshman guard Josh Williams has also turned into a major contributor for the Bisons having scored in double figures off the bench in eight of the last 10 games including Monday night’s 28-point effort that led all scorers. The newcomer is averaging 9.8 points per game and adding 5.2 rebounds each night, a figure that ranks him fifth best among all freshman guards nationally.
- The Bisons are among the nation’s best at getting to the free-throw line and firing off 3-pointers. Lipscomb ranks 16th in the nation with 346 3-point attempts and 30th nationally averaging 8.3 treys per game. The Purple and Gold also rank 30th nationally with 403 free-throw tries.
- Hitting the 70-point mark and hitting more free throws than the opponent seems to be the magic recipe so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 5-3 when scoring 70 or more and also 5-2 when shooting more free throws.