|January 11, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UPST|
|FG Percentage||.439 (25-57)||.608 (31-51)|
|3P FG Percentage||.321 (9-28)||.542 (13-24)|
|FT Percentage||.733 (11-15)||.450 (9-20)|
TEAM - 5
SMITH - 4
CRAIG - 6
DENNY - 2
CRAIG - 1
MAXEY - 1
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Looking to build on Thursday night’s 82-80 road win over ETSU, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team continues Atlantic Sun Conference road action on Saturday afternoon at USC Upstate at the G.B. Hodge Center in Spartanburg at 3 p.m.
The Bisons (6-10, 1-4 A-Sun) hope freshman guard Josh Williams can continue his red-hot play against USC Upstate (8-8, 1-2 A-Sun). The newcomer opened the week with a 28-point effort against Jacksonville in his first career start. The Jackson, Miss. native followed up that effort with a 34-point outing against ETSU.
The contest is set to air on ESPN3 and on 94.9 Game 2 in the midstate.
The two league foes have met a dozen times with neither school holding an advantage in the series. The Bisons led the series 6-2 before the Spartans went on a 4-0 run over the past two seasons to draw even.
- Posting a 21-point game against ETSU on Thursday night, junior forward Martin Smith overtook the lead in the Atlantic Sun scoring race. The Clarksville native averages 17.4 ppg just ahead of Jacksonville’s Jarvis Haywood and USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig that each average 16.8. Smith ranks 22nd nationally with 115 3-point attempts and 77th with 278 total points.
- After having a 28-point breakout game in his first career start against Jacksonville on Monday night, freshman guard Josh Williams followed up that performance with a 34-point night off the bench at ETSU on Thursday night. Williams has scored double figures in nine of the last 11 contests for the Bisons.
- Freshman guard J.C. Hampton continues to lead all A-Sun freshmen in scoring with a 13.8 ppg average. That figure ranks Hampton tied for 22nd nationally in scoring by freshman guards.
- The Bisons are among the nation’s best at getting to the free-throw line and firing off 3-pointers. Lipscomb ranks 5th in the nation with 402 3-point attempts and 17th nationally averaging 8.8 treys per game. The Purple and Gold also rank 21st nationally with 439 free-throw tries.
- Hitting the 70-point mark and hitting more free throws than the opponent seems to be the magic recipe so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 6-3 when scoring 70 or more and also 5-2 when shooting more free throws.