|February 27, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.412 (21-51)||.500 (30-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.308 (8-26)||.500 (15-30)|
|FT Percentage||.750 (21-28)||.773 (17-22)|
SMITH - 21
McKNIGHT - 1
GRAF - 1
DENNY - 2
SMITH - 2
FIELER - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Needing a win to keep the hopes of hosting an Atlantic Sun Conference first-round playoff game alive, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team is set to host league co-leader Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday night at 6 p.m. at Allen Arena.
With a pair of wins in the final weekend of the regular season, the Bisons (13-14, 8-8 A-Sun), who currently sit in a tie for fifth place, could move up into the coveted fourth spot and host an opening round game of the 2014 Atlantic Sun Men’s Basketball Championship at Allen Arena next Tuesday night.
To do so, Lipscomb will have to slow down the Eagles (19-10, 13-3 A-Sun), who have won seven of their last eight contests including a 75-61 win over A-Sun co-leader Mercer last Friday night.
The battle between the Bisons and Eagles is set to air on ESPN3 and 94.9 Game 2. To purchase tickets: logon to http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).
- With a postseason berth locked into place, the Bisons now look to improve in the standings. In a tie for fifth with North Florida, Lipscomb can finish no lower than seventh and no higher than the fourth seed.
- The Bisons hold an 8-4 advantage in the series including a 4-1 mark over the Eagles at Allen Arena. FGCU’s lone win in Nashville came in 2012 in overtime.
- Freshman guard Josh Williams continues to make a big impact in his first season averaging a league sixth best 15.1 points per game in conference games. The newcomer picked up his league-leading third A-Sun Newcomer of the Week last week after averaging 18 ppg and 7.5 rpg. Williams has been clutch in the final two minutes of action for the Bisons hitting 8-of-11 from the field including 4-for-5 from beyond the arc, along with a 12-for-14 mark at the free-throw line.
- Redshirt-freshman guard J.C. Hampton continues to lead all A-Sun freshmen in scoring averaging 14.6 points per game, a figure that ranks him seventh overall in the league. His 48, 3-pointers made in 2014 rank him third in the nation among all freshmen and tied for 33rd overall. He also ranks 17th in the nation in 3-point FGM in conference play. Hampton has also scored double figures in 18 of the last 20 contests.
- With eight wins on the road this season, the Bisons are tied with A-Sun co-leader Mercer for road victories.
- Long distance has been a big part of the Bisons this season as Lipscomb leads the league in 3-pointers made per game at 9.1. The Bisons rank 4th nationally with 658 attempts.
- Close contests have been the norm for the Bisons in A-Sun play with 11 of the 15 contests being decided by five points or less.
- Junior forward Martin Smith leads the Bisons in scoring averaging a league fifth-best 15.3 points per night.
- Hitting the 70-point mark and hitting more free throws than the opponent seems to be the magic recipe so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 12-5 when scoring 70 or more and 10-4 when shooting more free throws than the opponent.