|January 10, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||NKU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.411 (23-56)||.441 (26-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.200 (6-30)||.333 (10-30)|
|FT Percentage||.600 (9-15)||.857 (18-21)|
PERSONS - 5
TEAM - 5
CAMPS - 1
COLE - 1
JOHNSON - 1
WILLIAMS - 1
WISHON - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team opened Atlantic Sun Conference play on Saturday night with an 80-61 win over Northern Kentucky at Allen Arena in Nashville.
The Bisons (7-9, 1-0 A-Sun) got 24 points from sophomore Josh Williams as the guard hit 7-of-13 from the field including 3-of-6 beyond the arc. The Jackson, Mississippi native also hit 7-of-8 from the free-throw line.
“I definitely think this is a confidence booster,” said Williams. “We played the last two games before the conference opener with confidence. We focused in and wanted to play those two games really good and we are just trying to continue it.”
Williams was joined in double figures by Malcolm Smith with 17, Aaron Korn with 13 and Nathan Moran with 12.
The Bisons also got a lift from sophomore guard J.C. Hampton with eight points, seven assists and five rebounds.
“I give J.C. a lot of credit with two games in a row with seven assists,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “He was challenged a little bit to be more of a distributor and he’s really responded. He’s playing with a lot more confidence and he’s doing things that help our team.”
Three-point defense was a big key in the contest as the Bisons held the Norse (6-10, 0-1 A-Sun) to just 20 percent shooting from deep. NKU hit just 1-of-16 in the first half before warming up to hit 5-of-14 in the final 20 minutes of action.
“It was great to see us respond like that,” said Alexander. “We led so comfortably for so long in the second half. They made it a little closer than we wanted just because they had so much momentum late in the second half. But our guys responded and we got shots to fall late which was fun to see.”
Tyler White scored 20 to lead the Norse.
- The win marked the first time the Bisons have opened A-Sun play with a victory since the 2010-11 campaign.
- Finishing with 24 points, Josh Williams scored in double figures for the 17th time in the last 18 games. It marked the fourth time this season and 12th time in his career that he finished with 20 or more points.
- Lipscomb went 18-for-21 at the charity stripe for a season-high 85.7 percent.
- The Bisons held a 39-31 advantage on rebounds including a 10-7 advantage on the offensive end. Malcolm Smith led Lipscomb with nine boards.
- Korn’s 13 points were a career high for the newcomer.
Up next: The Bisons continue home action on Tuesday night hosting A-Sun foe USC Upstate at 6:30 p.m. at Allen Arena. To purchase tickets logon to http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373). The game will air live on ESPN3 with Jonathan and Justin Seamon on the call.