|January 13, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||UPST||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.431 (22-51)||.426 (20-47)|
|3P FG Percentage||.308 (8-26)||.286 (6-21)|
|FT Percentage||.300 (6-20)||.700 (14-20)|
CUTHBERTSON - 1
STEPHENS - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team made it six in a row at Allen Arena on Tuesday night with a 60-58 nail-biting win over Atlantic Sun Conference foe USC Upstate.
The contest was a 12-round fight with the lead changing hands a dozen times before the Bisons (8-9, 2-0 A-Sun) took the lead for good on a Malcolm Smith old-fashioned, 3-point play with 6:08 to play. The Spartans (13-5, 1-1 A-Sun) refused to give up however, and missed a three with four seconds remaining that sealed the win for Lipscomb.
“This is what conference play is all about,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “I feel like our guys competed and gutted out a win. We had a lot of guys contribute and in ways that might not show up on the stat sheet.”
Sophomore Josh Williams led the Purple and Gold with an 18-point effort including scoring the first ten points of the second half to help the Bisons weather a 7-0 start by the Spartans.
The Bisons also got a big boost from junior forward Talbott Denny, who scored eight points and hauled in eight rebounds, and Smith, who scored seven key points in the second half to finish with eight as well.
“Talbott was really consistent throughout the game making good effort plays,” said Alexander. “Aaron Korn did a nice job of getting some big defensive rebounds when we had to have them.”
Lipscomb was able to keep in check the high-octane USC Upstate offense that ranked second in the league in scoring entering the night. The Bisons did so by holding the Spartans to 43 percent shooting from the field including 30 percent beyond the arc.
“Going back to the Missouri game, we’ve had four games that were trending in the right direction defensively,” said Alexander. “Upstate is a heckuva team and this a huge win tonight but it doesn’t mean anything if we don’t go to Kennesaw ready to play.”
Michael Buchanan led USC Upstate with 13 points, all of which came in the first half.
- Williams finished in double figures for the 18th time in the last 19 games.
- Brett Wishon finished with seven assists a career high for him tying for the team best on the season with J.C. Hampton.
- The Lipscomb victory snapped a five-game winning streak for USC Upstate.
- The Bisons were able to overcome a 36-32 deficit in rebounding.
- Lipscomb held a big advantage from the charity stripe sinking 70 percent (14-20) while USC Upstate struggled hitting just 30 percent (6-20).
- The Bisons improve to 8-0 on the season when holding an opponent below the 70-point threshold.
- Lipscomb improves to 2-0 in Atlantic Sun Conference play for the first time since 2010-11.
Up next: The Bisons hit the road for Atlantic Sun Conference action at Kennesaw State on Saturday afternoon. The contest tipsoff at 1 p.m. from Kennesaw, Georgia and will be carried live on ESPN3 and 94.9 Game 2.