|January 22, 2015||1st||2nd||1OT||2OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||JU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.441 (26-59)||.473 (26-55)|
|3P FG Percentage||.385 (10-26)||.368 (7-19)|
|FT Percentage||.682 (15-22)||.636 (21-33)|
MISTERS - 2
BABINEAUX - 2
DUVALL - 1
HAMPTON - 1
SMITH - 1
CLAYTON - 1
ADEYEYE - 1
GILL - 1
KORN - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – With a severely shortened bench, it was a double-overtime win of grit and determination for the Lipscomb men’s basketball team on Thursday night downing Atlantic Sun foe Jacksonville 80-77 at Allen Arena.
“Tonight was a challenge, without a doubt,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “I was really excited coming into this game and seeing how our guys were going to respond. I think they would admit that the first half was a letdown.
“We didn’t have the energy we needed and we didn’t play with the purpose or confidence that we needed and it showed. But the second half our guys, to their credit, turned that around significantly.”
After scoring a season-low 21 points in the first half and building a 14-point deficit at the break, the Bisons (10-9, 4-0 A-Sun) responded with a 37-point second half. That sent the game to the extra stanzas where Lipscomb outlasted the Dolphins (7-14, 1-3 A-Sun)
A big part of the Bisons remaining undefeated in A-Sun action was the play of J.C. Hampton, who scored 17 points after intermission. The sophomore guard dished out 10 assists as well in the win to become just the second player in the NCAA era for Lipscomb to finish in double digit helpers. Hampton also added five rebounds and turned the ball over just one time in 40 minutes of work.
The reigning A-Sun co-Player of the Week Josh Williams finished with 22 points tying for the game lead. Malcolm Smith added 16 points and a game-high eight rebounds in the victory. Freshman Asa Duvall tossed in seven first-half points, a career best for the newcomer.
“Tonight was a great team win finding a way to do it against pretty significant circumstances,” said Alexander. “
Jacksonville was led by Andris Misters, who notched 22 points to tie Williams for the game lead.
- Lipscomb is 4-0 in Atlantic Sun play for the first time in school history.
- Thursday night was only the second double-overtime game of the NCAA D1 era for the Bisons and the first victory. The only previous game to go 50 minutes was Feb. 19, 2011.
- Williams scored in double figures for the 20th time in the last 21 games and finished with 20+ points for the fifth time this season.
- Hampton joined Josh Slater as the only players to notch 10 or more assists in a game. Slater accomplished the feat four times and holds the record with 11.
- The Bisons were without the services of Martin Smith, Brett Wishon and Nathan Moran, who are all three regular starters.
- The Bisons 21 points in the first 20 minutes of action were the lowest of any half this season.
- Lipscomb held a 40-31 advantage on the boards including a 9-4 edge in offensive rebounding.
- After shooting just 34 percent from the field in the first half, the Bisons turned it up in the second half hitting 63 percent.
Up next: The Bisons continue home action on Saturday hosting North Florida at 4 p.m. It will be Star Wars and Adoption Rally day with the game between the two A-Sun unbeatens being carried live on ESPN3.