|January 29, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.390 (23-59)||.470 (31-66)|
|3P FG Percentage||.241 (7-29)||.364 (8-22)|
|FT Percentage||.692 (9-13)||.533 (8-15)|
BRAMMEIER - 1
DeBOSE - 1
FORT MYERS, Fla. – A sloppy first half that saw 10 turnovers proved to be too much to overcome for the Lipscomb men’s basketball team in a 78-62 loss at Atlantic Sun Conference foe FGCU on Thursday night at Alico Arena.
“FGCU just played better than we did,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “They played smarter and I even think they played harder. I think we have a good team that is going to win plenty of games but if we don’t win the little things battle playing a team like FGCU on the road, this is the result we’re going to get. “
Along with the 10 miscues in the opening 20 minutes of action, the Bisons (10-11, 4-2 A-Sun) surrendered seven offensive rebounds that led to seven second-chance points for the Eagles (15-7, 5-1 A-Sun). Compounding the problem was a scoring drought to close the half that saw the Purple and Gold miss nine shots in a row from the field.
The Bisons would trim the FGCU lead to six at 9:22 when senior forward Malcolm Smith converted an old-fashioned, 3-point play to cap off an 8-0 run. The Eagles would turn right around and reopen their double-digit margin with an identical 8-0 run to retake control of the game.
“I give Gulf Coast a lot of credit,” said Alexander. “They made plays down even to the very end and that’s what you’re supposed to do. I think our team played hard, we’ve just got to play so much smarter and more detailed.”
J.C. Hampton led Lipscomb with a 13-point effort on 6-of-12 shooting from the field. The sophomore guard added six rebounds and three assists in the loss. He was joined in double figures by Malcolm Smith with 11 and Josh Williams with 10.
FGCU’s Jamail Jones led all scorers with an 18-point night as the Eagles placed four players in double figures.
- Williams scored in double figures for the 23rd time in the last 24 games.
- Sophomore forward Brett Wishon scored nine points in his return to the lineup after missing the previous two games with an injury.
- The win was the 21st consecutive victory for FGCU at Alico Arena. The last opponent to win on the Eagles home floor was Lipscomb in 2013.
- After turning the ball over 10 times in the opening half, the Bisons only gave the ball away three times in the second half. FGCU still won the turnover battle 13-9 however.
- With Hampton, Williams and Smith starting alongside Talbott Denny and Chad Lang, the Bisons used the ninth different starting lineup of the season.
- FGCU outshot the Bisons 47 percent to 39 percent overall and 36 percent to 24 percent from beyond the arc.
- Lipscomb held a slight edge at the charity stripe sinking 9-of-13 for 69 percent while FGCU hit 8-15 for 53 percent.
Up next: The Bisons make the trek to the middle of the Sunshine State for an A-Sun battle at Stetson on Saturday afternoon at Noon. The contest will air on 94.9 Game 2 and ESPN3.