|February 28, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||KSU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.368 (25-68)||.412 (28-68)|
|3P FG Percentage||.207 (6-29)||.407 (11-27)|
|FT Percentage||.864 (19-22)||.818 (27-33)|
COLEMAN - 6
COLEMAN - 2
LANG - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Five players scored in double figures as the Lipscomb men’s basketball team closed out the 2014-15 season with a 94-75 win over Atlantic Sun Conference foe Kennesaw State on Saturday morning at Allen Arena.
A pair of big runs sealed the win for the Bisons (13-16, 8-6 A-Sun) as the Purple and Gold closed the first half with a 13-2 run over the Owls (10-21, 4-10 A-Sun) and then opened the final stanza with a 16-4 run out of the break.
“I felt like we were ready to go today and we came out in the second half with the same kind of intensity and focus and extended that margin,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “It was good for our team and I liked the way we played today. It’s encouraging.”
Lipscomb was led by sophomore guard Josh Williams, who finished with a 19-point, nine-rebound, five-assist day. Martin Smith, J.C. Hampton and Nathan Moran each added a dozen while Chad Lang added 11 as the Bisons placed four players in double figures.
“Today was the first glimmer of the old Martin,” said Alexander. “He was that way in practice yesterday which was really encouraging. Then for him to follow that up today and see him play with confidence and a lot of drive was good for him and good for us. That will be good going forward.”
Kennesaw State’s Yonel Brown led all scorers with a 22-point game as he hit 7-of-16 from the floor to go along with a pair of treys and six free throws.
With the win, the Bisons secure at least a tie for fourth place in the A-Sun standings and will take on Northern Kentucky on Tuesday night in the first round of the conference tournament.
“It’s exciting to turn the page and have everybody start over,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “It’s not going to be easy whether we’re playing at home Tuesday or not. We’ve got a real challenge ahead of us.
- The Bisons honored graduate student Chad Lang and seniors Chad Johnson and Martin Smith during a pregame ceremony.
- Williams scored in double figures for the 31st time in the last 32 games.
- The Bisons improve to 8-0 when scoring 80 or more points.
- 94 points is a season high for the Bisons eclipsing the previous mark of 91 that Lipscomb set at Kennesaw State last month
- Lipscomb held a 53-33 advantage on the boards including 11 by junior forward Talbott Denny.
- Both teams excelled at the charity stripe with the Owls hitting 86.4 percent ahead of the Bisons 81.8 percent.
- Saturday’s game marks the first time this season that Lipscomb has placed five players in double figures.
- Lipscomb got 34 points off the bench including 12 from Smith.
Up next: Lipscomb opens the 2014-15 Atlantic Sun Tournament as the No. 5 seed on Tuesday night at No. 4 Northern Kentucky.