|January 14, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UNF|
|FG Percentage||.462 (30-65)||.492 (29-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.462 (12-26)||.394 (13-33)|
|FT Percentage||.733 (11-15)||.828 (24-29)|
MACKEY - 1
BODAGER - 1
DANIELS - 1
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A strong second half was not enough on Thursday night as the Lipscomb men’s basketball team fell 95-83 to Atlantic Sun Conference foe North Florida at UNF Arena in Jacksonville, Florida.
“The second half was significantly better, there’s no doubt about that,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “I thought our guys kept their poise and tried to really execute on both ends of the floor and give us a better effort. Therefore we played better.”
The Bisons (4-15, 0-2 A-Sun) placed four players in double figures led by junior guard J.C. Hampton, who scored 21 points and added six assists and four steals. He was joined in double figures by freshman Garrison Mathews with 17, sophomore Nathan Moran with 13 and junior Brett Wishon with 11.
“There were a lot of positives tonight and we’ve wasted an opportunity if we don’t learn from it and build on it,” said Alexander. “That’s our only choice at this point and time and that’s what I fully expect.”
Trent Mackey led all players in scoring with a 24-point night for the Ospreys (14-6, 3-0 A-Sun) behind six 3-pointers and six free throws.
- After collecting a career-high 17 rebounds last Saturday against Kennesaw State, freshman Eli Pepper, the reigning A-Sun Newcomer of the Week, hauled in a game-high 15 boards on Thursday night. He helped lead the Bisons to a 37-33 advantage on the glass including a 9-6 edge on the offensive end.
- The Bisons closed to within six with 9:30 to play when Wishon hit a jumper but that is as close as the Purple and Gold would come in the final stanza.
- After shooting just 29 percent behind the arc the last four games, the Bisons hit 46.2 percent from deep hitting 12-of-26.
- Free-throws proved to be a big difference in the contest as the Ospreys hit 24-of-29 while the Bisons went to the line just 15 times making 11.
- Lipscomb held a decided 34-8 advantage in points off the bench behind the efforts of Mathews and Wishon.
- David Wishon returned to the lineup for the Bisons having missed the last seven contests with an arm injury.
Up next: The Bisons continue A-Sun play in the River City on Saturday taking on Jacksonville at 6 p.m. at Swisher Gymnasium. The contest will air live on ESPN3.