|January 21, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.435 (30-69)||.508 (31-61)|
|3P FG Percentage||.367 (11-30)||.444 (12-27)|
|FT Percentage||.593 (16-27)||.857 (18-21)|
MYLES - 2
DOYLE - 2
PEGG - 2
MATHEWS - 2
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Behind a career-high 19 points from freshman guard Garrison Mathews, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team opened Atlantic Sun home action with a 92-87 win over Stetson on Thursday night at Allen Arena.
“I’m excited for our guys to get the monkey off their back,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “Hopefully that will allow us to just settle down and play basketball. It’s such a hard thing mentally when it’s not going your way to remove doubt and just play without regard for what’s happened in the past.”
Making his first career start, Mathews scored 11 of his 19 in the first half to help lead the Bisons (5-16, 1-3 A-Sun) to a 49-31 lead at the break. The newcomer hit 6-of-13 from the field on the night including four 3-pointers and added a career-high eight rebounds.
“Garrison took the challenge and started the game like he belonged,” said Alexander. “That’s a change starting your first college game even though he’s had some big moments for us already. The team really needed him and he delivered.”
Lipscomb placed five players in double figures as Nathan Moran scored 17, J.C. Hampton notched 15 and Eli Pepper and George Brammeier each posted a dozen on the scoreboard.
Stetson (7-13, 1-4 A-Sun) also placed five players in double digits led by Derick Newton, who matched Mathews’ 19.
- The win for the Bisons was the first this season when an opponent scored 70 or more points.
- The Bisons outrebounded Stetson 45-32. Pepper finished one rebound shy of his second career double-double.
- Free-throw shooting proved to be a big difference in the contest as Lipscomb hit 18-of-21 from the charity stripe including 7-of-7 by Hampton. The 85.7 percent is a season high for the Purple and Gold. Stetson hit 16-of-27 for 59.3 percent.
- Lipscomb held a 50-43 percent advantage in shooting overall and 44-36 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Bisons also held a slim 34-32 advantage in points in the paint.
- Lipscomb tied a season high with seven blocks led by three from Pepper.
Up next: Lipscomb continues home league action on Saturday at 4 p.m. hosting FGCU for Superhero Day at Allen Arena. The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a free superhero cape. The game will air on ESPN3.