|January 30, 2016||1st||2nd||1OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||UPST||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.443 (31-70)||.391 (25-64)|
|3P FG Percentage||.421 (8-19)||.235 (4-17)|
|FT Percentage||.733 (22-30)||.841 (37-44)|
HAMPTON - 3
SMITH - 1
HOLMES - 1
MOORE - 1
WHITTINGTON - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team returns home to Allen Arena on Saturday to host USC Upstate for the annual Adoption Rally and Star Wars Day in the Music City. 100 percent of proceeds from the gate will be given to the participating families in the adoption rally. Tipoff is slated for 4 p.m.
The contest marks the 17th meeting between the two schools with each team having claimed eight wins in the series. The home team has won each of the last five contests.
The game will air on ESPN3 with Jonathan and Justin Seamon calling the action from Don Meyer Court.
- Inside the Herd:
Freshman Garrison Mathews picked up his first A-Sun weekly honor this week as the A-Sun “Newcomer of the Week.” Mathews scored 19 points against Stetson before dropping 16 in a win over FGCU on Sunday.
- Junior guard J.C. Hampton became the 46th member of the 1,000-point club Lipscomb with a 17-point effort at Jacksonville reaching the feat in 83 games.
- Freshman forward Eli Pepper picked up his second A-Sun Newcomer of the Week honor two weeks ago after notching a 22-point, 17-rebound effort at Kennesaw State.
- Junior guard Josh Williams sustained a torn left ACL in the first half against Princeton last month. Williams had surgery on Dec. 17 and will miss the remainder of the 2015-16 season. He joins Talbot Denny (Arm), and Dylan Greene (Heel) as members of the team sidelined due to injury. David Wishon (Wrist) returned to action against UNF after missing the seven previous games.
- Williams became the 45th member of the Lipscomb 1,000-point club Nov. 27 with a 21-point effort at South Carolina. Williams reached the mark in 68 career games becoming the fastest player in the NCAA Division I era for the Bisons to reach the mark.
- Williams is one of 30 players named to the Lou Henson Award preseason watch list and the preseason All-American team. The award goes to the top mid-major player annually.
- Since losing Williams, Hampton has stepped up his game and has averaged 19.3 ppg.
- The Bisons have been spreading the ball around so far in 2015-16 ranking fourth in the nation and leading the A-Sun with 404 assists. The Bisons have notched 20-plus assists in each of the last five games Sophomore Nathan Moran ranks 26th in the nation with 118 helpers through 23 games.
- Lipscomb ranks second in the nation with 259, 3-point field goals made and sits tied for second in the nation in 3-point field goal attempts with 675 trifectas launched. The Bisons 11.3, 3-point field goals per game ranks third in the NCAA Division I.
- Pepper ranks fifth in the nation among rookies with 138 defensive rebounds. The newcomer has grabbed eight or more rebounds in 13 contests and ranks third in the A-Sun with 8.2 rpg.