|February 06, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UPST|
|FG Percentage||.492 (29-59)||.393 (22-56)|
|3P FG Percentage||.368 (7-19)||.227 (5-22)|
|FT Percentage||.464 (13-28)||.640 (16-25)|
CUTHBERTSON - 1
WHITTINGTON - 1
SCHULTE - 1
WHITTINGTON - 1
BUCHANAN - 1
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team used one of its best defensive efforts of the season to claim a 78-65 Atlantic Sun Conference road win over USC Upstate Saturday afternoon at the G.B. Hodge Center in Spartanburg.
The Bisons (8-19, 4-5 A-Sun) opened the game by holding the Spartans (12-12, 3-5 A-Sun) to just 20 points in the first 20 minutes of action by forcing a dozen turnovers and holding Upstate to just 25.9 percent shooting from the floor. Junior guard J.C. Hampton played a big role in that intensity, grabbing three steals.
“We definitely opened the game with the passion that you need to play,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “I think that’s the result of our guys having a couple of good days of practice and focusing on the right things. It doesn’t take anything spectacular and the result is our best defensive half of the season.”
Hampton went on to lead the Bisons with a 14-point effort ahead of five teammates in double figures. Freshman forward Eli Pepper scored 11 points and added 11 rebounds for the second double-double of his career. Freshman Garrison Mathews added a dozen while junior forward Cam Miller and sophomore center George Brammeier each scored 10.
“It didn’t ever seem like we were really good offensively or had one guy playing great,” said Alexander. “So I guess that’s where the balance comes in. This is twice now that we’ve played them and things didn’t come easily. We didn’t really get offense in the realm of what we’re trying to do but we had enough guys make plays. We definitely had some easy baskets in the second half that helped us.”
Philip Washington led the Spartans with a career high 16 points and eight rebounds.
- Lipscomb used a 12-0 run to build a 20-9 lead early in the first half.
- The Bisons posted the best defensive effort of the season in the first half holding USC Upstate to just 20 points. Lipscomb had previously held Cumberland and Santa Clara to 24 points in a half.
- Pepper’s 11 rebounds mark the eighth time this season the rookie has finished in double-digit boards.
- The Bisons owned a 43-30 advantage in points in the paint.
- Lipscomb held a 46-42 advantage on the boards including a 16-14 edge in offensive rebounding.
- The Purple and Gold also owned a 13-2 advantage in fast-break points.
Up next: The Bisons return home to Allen Arena on Thursday night hosting A-Sun foe Jacksonville at 6:30 p.m. The contest will air on ESPN3 with Jonathan and Justin Seamon calling the action from Don Meyer Court.