|February 13, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||UNF||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.431 (31-72)||.470 (31-66)|
|3P FG Percentage||.351 (13-37)||.364 (8-22)|
|FT Percentage||.706 (12-17)||.706 (24-34)|
BRAMMEIER - 10
DAVENPORT - 1
BEECH - 1
MALONGA - 1
MOORE - 1
MORAN - 2
BEECH - 2
PEPPER - 1
BUTLER - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – On the heels of knocking off Atlantic Sun Conference co-leader Jacksonville on Thursday night, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team repeated the feat on Saturday afternoon with a 94-87 win over league-leading North Florida at Allen Arena in the Music City.
After trailing by 10 at the half, the Bisons (10-18, 6-5 A-Sun) outscored the Ospreys (18-10, 7-4 A-Sun) 56-39 in the second half to claim the win.
“This was a huge win,” said sophomore guard Nathan Moran. “We had great fan support. It was huge and we’ve got to have that all of the time. You can feel their support when you play and it’s just awesome to have that many people here. Hopefully we can keep getting some wins and help bring more people in.”
Moran led the Purple and Gold with 24 points off the bench. Sixteen of those came in the second half behind four treys and six free throws including 15 points in the final 4:30. Freshman guard Garrison Mathews was right on Moran’s heels for the scoring lead posting a career-high 23 points. He sank 9-of-15 including 8-of-10 inside the arc. The rookie also collected 10 rebounds for his second-straight double-double and added five assists.
“When you can look back and remember plays where guys are diving on the floor or getting big offensive rebounds, those are game-winning plays,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “We’ve talked about making those a lot and Garrison has really turned the corner there the last two games.”
The Bisons also got a career high from sophomore guard Aaron Korn, who matched his previous best with 13 points. Sophomore center George Brammeier also notched a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
North Florida was led by Dallas Moore, who netted a game-high 27 in the loss.
- The Bisons held a 45-38 advantage in rebounding including a 14-13 advantage on the offensive glass that led to 20 second-chance points.
- Junior guard J.C. Hampton finished the afternoon with six points snapping a streak of 19 games where he scored in double figures.
- Lipscomb held UNF to just 27.8 percent shooting beyond the arc and 33.3 percent overall in the second half. For the game, Lipscomb outshot North Florida 47 percent to 43.1 percent.
- The Lipscomb bench also held a huge advantage in scoring with a 43-15 edge over UNF.
- With the win, the Bisons sit just one game out of first place in the A-Sun standings in a two-way tie for fourth with Florida Gulf Coast.
Up next: The Bisons hit the road for A-Sun play taking on FGCU in Ft. Meyers, Florida on Thursday night at 6 p.m. The contest will air live on ESPN3.