NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team continues Atlantic Sun Conference action on Thursday night taking on FGCU at 6 p.m. at Alico Arena in a battle for fourth place in the league standings.
The contest marks the 17th meeting all-time between the two schools with the Bisons owning a 10-6 edge including the last meeting earlier this season. That contest saw Lipscomb drain a school record 19 treys en route to a 91-75 win over the Eagles. Junior guard J.C. Hampton led the way with 26 points behind six trifectas.
The contest is slated to air on ESPN3.
- With 11 league games complete, the Bisons boast three of the top-15 scorers in league action. Junior guard J.C. Hampton ranks ninth with a 16.5 ppg average ahead of sophomore guard Nathan Moran, who ranks tied for 10th with a 15.4 ppg average and Garrison Mathews, who ranks 15th with 14.6 ppg.
- Mathews picked up a pair of honors this week as he was named the Tennesee Sports Writers Association Player of the Week and the Atlantic Sun Newcomer of the Week for his play last week. He led the Bisons to a 2-0 mark against A-Sun co-leaders Jacksonville and North Florida. He opened the week with a 19-point, 10-rebound, five-assist effort before dropping a 23-point, 10-rebound, five-assist effort against UNF
- Hampton became the 46th member of the 1,000-point club Lipscomb with a 17-point effort at Jacksonville reaching the feat in 83 games.
- Junior guard Josh Williams sustained a torn left ACL in the first half against Princeton. Williams had surgery on Dec. 17 and will miss the remainder of the 2015-16 season. He joins Talbot Denny (Arm), and Dylan Greene (Heel) as members of the team sidelined due to injury. David Wishon (Wrist) returned to action against UNF after missing the seven previous games.
- Williams became the 45th member of the Lipscomb 1,000-point club Nov. 27 with a 21-point effort at South Carolina. Williams reached the mark in 68 career games becoming the fastest player in the NCAA Division I era for the Bisons to reach the mark.
- The Bisons have been spreading the ball around so far in 2015-16 ranking fourth in the nation and leading the A-Sun with 489 assists. The Bisons have notched 20-plus assists in six games this season. Sophomore Nathan Moran ranks 30th in the nation with 140 helpers through 28 games.
- Lipscomb ranks fourth in the nation with 299, 3-point field goals made and sits third in the nation in 3-point field goal attempts with 799 trifectas launched. The Bisons 10.7, 3-point field goals per game ranks fifth in the NCAA Division I.
- Freshman forward Eli Pepper ranks tied for third in the nation among rookies with 172 defensive rebounds. The newcomer has grabbed eight or more rebounds in 15 contests and ranks third in the A-Sun in league contests with 8.9 rpg.