JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team opens the 2016 Atlantic Sun Conference tournament on Tuesday night as the No. 6 seed taking on No. 3 seed Jacksonville at 6 p.m. at Swisher Gymansium in Jacksonville.
The contest marks the first time the two teams have met in the postseason. Lipscomb holds a 14-13 advantage all-time in the series that dates back to 2004.
The contest is slated to air on ESPN3.
Inside the Herd:
- Junior guard J.C. Hampton was named to the A-Sun All-Conference second team on Monday. He was joined in postseason honors by rookies Garrison Mathews and Eli Pepper, who were named to the All-Freshman squad.
- With all 14 league games complete, the Bisons boast three of the top-16 scorers in league action. Hampton and Mathews are tied for 10th with a 15.2 ppg average ahead of sophomore guard Nathan Moran, who ranks 16th at 13.9 ppg.
- Hampton became the 46th member of the 1,000-point club Lipscomb with a 17-point effort at Jacksonville reaching the feat in 83 games.
- Junior guard Josh Williams sustained a torn left ACL in the first half against Princeton. Williams had surgery on Dec. 17 and will miss the remainder of the 2015-16 season. He joins Talbot Denny (Arm), and Dylan Greene (Heel) as members of the team sidelined due to injury. David Wishon (Wrist) returned to action against the first game against UNF after missing the seven previous games.
- Williams became the 45th member of the Lipscomb 1,000-point club Nov. 27 with a 21-point effort at South Carolina. Williams reached the mark in 68 career games becoming the fastest player in the NCAA Division I era for the Bisons to reach the mark.
- The Bisons have been spreading the ball around so far in 2015-16 ranking seventh in the nation and leading the A-Sun with 528 assists. The Bisons have notched 20-plus assists in six games this season.
- Lipscomb ranks fifth in the nation with a school-record 315, 3-point field goals made and sits third in the nation in 3-point field goal attempts with 878 trifectas launched. The Bisons 10.2, 3-point field goals per game ranks ninth in NCAA Division I.
- Freshman forward Eli Pepper ranks tied for fourth in the nation among rookies with 182 defensive rebounds. The newcomer has grabbed eight or more rebounds in 16 contests and ranks third in the A-Sun in league contests with 8.4 rpg.
- Hampton earned all-tournament honors in the Men Against Breast Cancer Challenge in Oxford, Ohio. Hampton averaged 14 points per game to go along with a 4.0 rebound-per-game average.