NASHVILLE, Tenn. – With the fall semester just days away from starting on campus, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team will be hitting Don Meyer Court in Allen Arena soon for the 2016-17 season.
“Our schedule is pretty typical of what we’ve been doing and will continue to try to do,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “Our schedule really comes down to what our mid-major opponents look like and we’ve got a really competitive slate. How we do in those games will ultimately determine how we view our success in nonconference play.”
Here are ten things to know about the 2016-17 Lipscomb Men’s Basketball schedule.
· The Bisons will make the trek across the state on I-40 to visit Thompson-Bowling arena for a battle with the Tennessee Volunteers on Dec. 15. It marks the first trip to Knoxville for the Bisons since a 2005 battle against the Vols.
“Hopefully that will be an exciting game for our guys,” said Alexander. “Naturally the name recognition will get our fans excited about that game because people in this area follow Tennessee so closely. It should be a good trip for us.”
· The annual home-and-home “Battle of the Boulevard” against Belmont is set for Nov. 29 and Dec. 6. The Bruins will host the first edition of the annual rivalry on Nov. 29 before the “Battle” heads to the Lipscomb campus on Dec. 6.
· The second game of the year finds a road trip to Morehead, Kentucky for the first game of a home-and-home series with Morehead State. It will be the first meeting in 58 years between the two teams with the last meeting coming in the Bluegrass State on Dec. 9, 1958. The Eagles make the return trip to Nashville on Dec. 10 for their first ever appearance in Allen Arena.
“It just makes sense for us to play as many of the OVC teams as we can given the proximity and some of the name recognition that comes along with it,” said Alexander. “Only having 14 conference games makes it a real struggle to find as many nonconference games as we have to. Playing a home-and-home in the same year is unique in some ways and is advantageous for us when we can do it.”
· Along with the contests against Belmont and Morehead State, the Bisons will hit the court eight times against Ohio Valley Conference foes including four straight home games from Dec. 1 – Dec. 10 against Tennessee Tech, Tennessee State, Belmont and Morehead State, respectively.
· The schedule will see the Bisons featured on the WatchESPN/ESPN3 platform 24 times.
· The Bisons will make a pair of visits to the New York City area participating in a tournament hosted by Fordham in the Bronx on Nov. 18-20 against the host school, St. Peter’s and Fairleigh Dickinson and then traveling to take on league foe NJIT on Jan. 28 in Newark, New Jersey.
· Along with the visit to take on Tennessee, the Bisons will take on another Southeastern Conference foe to close out 2016 with a visit to Missouri.
· Lipscomb will make the trip across the Ohio River on Nov. 26 to take on American Conference power Cincinnati at the Fifth Third Arena. It marks the first meeting between the Bearcats and Bisons since 2009.
· The Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament will return to campus sites for the fourth consecutive season. The highest seeds among the conference schools host each of the three rounds of the event. This year’s final moves from ESPN2 to ESPN.
· Season tickets will be available soon on an all-new www.LipscombTickets.com
Follow the Bisons on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to learn when sales to the general public will happen. Season ticket holders can email email@example.com
or call 615-966-HERD (4373) to renew now.