|December 06, 2016||1st||2nd||1OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||BEL||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.353 (24-68)||.322 (19-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.244 (11-45)||.229 (8-35)|
|FT Percentage||.864 (19-22)||.833 (30-36)|
WILLIAMS - 3
LUKE - 3
MARBERRY - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – For the second time in a week, a Belmont last minute shot sent the Lipscomb men’s basketball team back to the locker room heart broken in a 78-76 loss to the Bruins on Tuesday night at Allen Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.
After hitting a trey to bring a four-point Bisons (3-8) lead down to one, Belmont’s Taylor Barnette drained another one from 12 feet back of the arc with five ticks remaining to secure the Bruins (4-3) comeback. Lipscomb got a solid look at a three to win the game but it failed to go in as time expired.
"Tonight was hard," said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. "It's really hard. Our team has played two really good games against them. It's gut wrenching that they don't get the reward for that. I understand how doubt can seep in when you don't get the reward. They're doing everything we're asking them to and it will pay off."
Garrison Mathews led the Bisons with a 25-point effort hitting 5-of-17 from the field and 13-of-18 from the charity stripe in the loss.
"The best thing about Garrison is he's an incredible competitor," said Alexander. "You can see that he wants the ball in every circumstance. We'll take that every time. He's got a bright future ahead."
- The Bisons hit just four field goals in the second half of action enduring droughts of 4:11, 6:55, 3:45 and 3:47 without a make from the floor.
- Free throw shooting kept the Bisons in the game hitting 19-of-23 (82.6 percent) from the line in the second half and 30-of-36 (83.3 percent) for the game. Belmont hit 19-of-22 (86.4 percent on the night).
- The Bruins held a 44-40 advantage on the boards including a 15-12 edge in offensive rebounds. Lipscomb’s Eli Pepper grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Bisons.
- Lipscomb led for 33:12 in the contest.
- Mathews was joined in double figures by Nathan Moran (13), Rob Marberry (10) and Kenny Cooper (10).
Up next: The Bisons continue home action on Saturday hosting Morehead State at 4 p.m. at Allen Arena. The contest will air on ESPN3 and via the WatchESPN app.