|December 10, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||MOR||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.457 (32-70)||.542 (32-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.346 (9-26)||.577 (15-26)|
|FT Percentage||.647 (11-17)||.792 (19-24)|
MOON - 18
MAITLAND - 6
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Behind a career high 36 points from Garrison Mathews, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team downed nonconference foe Morehead State 98-84 on Saturday afternoon at Allen Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.
“I’m happy for our team,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “This is a big win as sloppy as it was to get. There wasn’t really a stretch in the game where we were good on both ends. We’ve got some things we need to improve on. I didn’t think we were as good today as we’ve been in the last week or so.”
The sophomore guard connected on eight treys in 10 attempts and added eight rebounds in the win for the Bisons (4-8). Senior guard Josh Williams added a season high 27 including five triples of his own as Lipscomb combined to hit a season best 15.
“Josh did a better job of finishing at the basket today,” said Alexander. “He made some timely threes. We need Josh to make this kind of contribution. We can’t ask for 27 points every night but we need him to be efficient option for us. We know he can do it and we’ve seen him do it plenty of times. Hopefully this will help him get back to his old self from this point on.”
- Mathews’ 36 points are the most for a Bison since Adnan Hodzic scored 37 on Feb. 27, 2010 against Mercer and just two off the NCAA Division I era school record of 38 set by Jeff Dancy against Tennessee State in 2008.
- Junior guard Nathan Moran also got in on the career high action setting a new mark with 10 assists as the Bisons held a 21-18 edge in helpers.
- Lipscomb shot 57.7 percent from beyond the arc hitting 15-of-26 while Morehead State hit 9-of-26 for 34.6 percent. Overall the Bisons held a 54-46 percent advantage in shooting.
- The Bisons held a 38-33 edge in rebounding.
- The Purple and Gold also got the job done at the free-throw line hitting 19-of-21 in the second half.
- Lipscomb led for 33:01.
Up next: The Bisons take a quick break in the action for exams before heading to Knoxville to take on Tennessee on Thursday night at 6 p.m. The game will air live on SEC Network+.