KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team heads across the state to Knoxville on Thursday night for a 6 p.m. nonconference matchup with Tennessee at Thompson-Boling Arena.
The contest marks the first meeting between the two schools since 2005 when the Vols claimed a 69-58 win on their home court. The series dates back to 1954 with Tennessee holding a 2-0 lead all-time.
The game is slated to air on SEC Network +. Darren Headrick, Steve Hamer and Maddy Glab will have the call of the game.
- The Bisons open a four-game road swing against Tennessee. Lipscomb heads to Tennessee Tech on Saturday before a trip to Austin Peay next Tuesday and concluding 2016 at Missouri on Dec. 29.
- Garrison Mathews picked up ASUN Conference Player of the Week honors for his play last week. The sophomore guard averaged 30.5 points per game and six rebounds per outing. The Franklin, Tennessee native scored a career high 36 points against Morehead State on Saturday, just two points shy of the Lipscomb NCAA era record. He hit 8-of-10 from beyond the arc to come up just one triple shy of tying that school mark as well. He opened the week with a 25-point effort against rival Belmont.
- Sophomore center Rob Marberry notched a NCAA era record for the Bisons at Belmont by going a perfect 11-for-11 from the field. The feat broke the previous mark of 8-for-8 by Michael Teller in 2008 against USC Upstate and is the best by any player against Belmont in the NCAA era. His streak eventually reached 15 straight buckets before he missed his second shot against TSU.
- Marberry was honored for his efforts by the ASUN being named the league’s Newcomer of the Week for his play a week ago. He averaged 16.3 ppg, 6.0 rpg and 1.7 bpg and shot 71.2 percent from the field.
- Notching 104 points against Tennessee Tech, the Bisons set a school mark for points against an NCAA Division I opponent in regulation and tied the mark for most points against an NCAA Division I opponent overall. The previous time was in 2012 in an overtime win against Stetson.
- After setting the school record for 3-pointers made in 2015-16 (331), the Bisons aerial attack is in full swing again this season. With 12 games in the books, Lipscomb ranks 7th in the NCAA with 112 treys made so far.
- Lipscomb is also ranked among the nation’s best in free throw attempts (1st, 330), free throws made (4th, 233), 3-point field goals attempted (5th, 323), total assists (9th, 199) and total rebounds (20th, 440).
- The Bisons were tabbed to finish fourth in ASUN league standings by a vote of the league coaches. That was two slots higher than the media, who predicted a sixth-place finish for Lipscomb. Both groups forecasted a first-place finish for reigning tournament champion FGCU.
- The league skippers voted senior guard Josh Williams onto the preseason All-ASUN team. Williams returns for his final campaign after becoming the fastest player in the NCAA era to reach the 1,000 point mark last season. Williams became the 45th member of the exclusive club before a knee-injury sidelined him before the Christmas break. Williams returned to the Lipscomb lineup against Sewanee scoring 14 points and grabbing six rebounds.
- Williams sits 27th all-time in scoring with 1,266 after surpassing Thomas Lanier, who ranks 28th with 1,247. Williams trails Billy Bennett, who finished with 1,292. The Jackson, Mississippi native ranks sixth among players in the NCAA Division I era.
- Lipscomb returns 74.1 percent of the offense from 2015-16 that nailed an NCAA era school record 331 shots from beyond the arc. The Bisons also set the school mark for most points in a season with 2,590.
- Nearly half of the Lipscomb roster is from the Nashville metropolitan area. Seven players (Rob Marberry - Nashville, Cam Miller - Franklin, Nathan Moran - Franklin, Asa Duvall - Brentwood, John Matt Merritt - Nashville, Kenny Cooper - Nashville, Garrison Mathews) call the Music City home.