NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team opens ASUN Conference play on Saturday afternoon hosting Kennesaw State at Allen Arena at 4 p.m.
Lipscomb owns a 15-7 lead in the all-time series that dates back to 2005. The Owls managed to snap a 10-game skid against the Bisons last season by sweeping the series.
Saturday afternoon’s contest is scheduled to air online on ESPN3 and via the WatchESPN app with Jonathan and Justin Seamon calling the action from Don Meyer Court. To purchase tickets visit http://www.LipscombTickets.com
- Thursday night was full of record breaking for the Bisons as the team set an all-time school mark with 22 treys and the NCAA era marks for the most points scored (126) and most rebounds (71). Individually, Eli Pepper claimed the NCAA era mark for most rebounds with 25, Kenny Cooper delivered an NCAA era best 13 assists and Nathan Moran drained nine of the 22 triples to tie Jordan Burgasson for the most threes in the NCAA era. The game also saw the Bisons notch four double-doubles and place seven players in double figures.
- Moran collected ASUN Player of the Week honors on Monday for his play in the Bisons 81-76 win at Missouri last Thursday night. Moran posted a season-high, 22-point night against the Tigers as Lipscomb collected its first win over an SEC team since downing Vanderbilt in 1951. The Franklin, Tennessee native hit 5-of-10 beyond the arc, added five rebounds, three assists and three steals in the victory.
- Senior Josh Williams and sophomore Garrison Mathews both picked up ASUN Player of the Week honors in the month of December. Williams was honored on Dec. 20 after averaging 20.5 ppg including a game-winning trey at Tennessee Tech with 0.2 seconds remaining on the clock. Mathews earned league honors on Dec. 13 after averaging 30.5 points per game and six rebounds per outing. The Franklin, Tennessee native scored a career high 36 points against Morehead State, just two points shy of the Lipscomb NCAA era record. He hit 8-of-10 from beyond the arc to come up just one triple shy of tying that school mark as well. He opened the week with a 25-point effort against rival Belmont.
- Mathews and Williams are the first back-to-back winners for the Bisons since Josh Slater and Adnan Hodzic accomplished the feat in 2009-10.
- The wins by Moran, Williams and Mathews ties the most players to win in a season that was set in 2006-07 when Eddie Ard, Brian Fisk and Trey Williams earned league laurels in 2006-07.
- Moran heads into Saturday’s contest just four assists shy of 300 career helpers. The junior would become just the second player in the NCAA era for Lipscomb to reach the plateau joining Josh Slater, who finished with 462 all-time dishes.
- Sophomore center Rob Marberry notched an NCAA era record for the Bisons at Belmont by going a perfect 11-for-11 from the field. The feat broke the previous mark of 8-for-8 by Michael Teller in 2008 against USC Upstate and is the best by any player against Belmont in the NCAA era. His streak eventually reached 15 straight buckets before he missed his second shot against TSU.
- After setting the school record for 3-pointers made in 2015-16 (331), the Bisons aerial attack is in full swing again this season. With 17 games in the books, Lipscomb ranks 3rd in the NCAA with 186 treys made so far.
- Lipscomb is also ranked among the nation’s best in free-throw attempts (4th, 444), free throws made (7th, 305), 3-point field goals attempted (4th, 481), and total assists (4th, 303).
- The ASUN league skippers voted Williams onto the preseason All-ASUN team. Williams returns for his final campaign after becoming the fastest player in the NCAA era to reach the 1,000 point mark last season. Williams became the 45th member of the exclusive club before a knee-injury sidelined him before the Christmas break. .
- Williams sits 27th all-time in scoring with 1,290 after surpassing Thomas Lanier, who ranks 28th with 1,260. Williams trails Billy Bennett, who finished with 1,292. The Jackson, Mississippi native ranks sixth among players in the NCAA Division I era.