|January 21, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UNF|
|FG Percentage||.354 (28-79)||.517 (31-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.275 (11-40)||.438 (7-16)|
|FT Percentage||.810 (17-21)||.656 (21-32)|
DAVENPORT - 4
MOORE - 2
COOPER - 1
KORN - 1
MATHEWS - 1
BRAMMEIER - 1
BANKS - 2
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A sluggish start was too much for the Lipscomb men’s basketball team to overcome on Saturday night in a 90-84 ASUN Conference loss at UNF Arena in Jacksonville, Florida.
The Bisons (11-11, 3-2 ASUN) hit shot just 35 percent from the field and got off to a rough start hitting just 5-of-22 from the floor and 1-of-10 from deep in the first 10 minutes of action. The Ospreys (9-13, 4-1 ASUN) used an extended zone to wreak havoc on the Lipscomb offense and built a lead that was too much to overcome.
“I thought North Florida was the aggressor early,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “They played inspired and with great confidence and because of it they got out to a good lead. We were a little rattled and they defended us well. It took as a long time to respond.
“I thought we played hard tonight and our guys were trying to win down to the very end but we were just swimming upstream the whole time.”
Lipscomb was led by senior guard Josh Williams with a 25-point effort as he climbed to fifth on the career scoring chart in the NCAA era for the Bisons surpassing Malcom Smith. The Jackson, Mississippi moved up to 22nd all-time with 1,376 points.
UNF’s Dallas Moore played a large role in the early deficit for the Bisons scoring 18 points in the first 10 minutes of play en route to a game-high 36 points.
- Garrison Mathews followed up his record-setting 39-point performance on Thursday night with his first double-double scoring 16 points and grabbing a career-high12 boards.
- Williams and Mathews were joined in double figures by Nathan Moran (14) and George Brammeier, who gave the Bisons a lift off the bench with 11 points and eight rebounds in 17 minutes of action.
- The loss snapped a four-game road winning streak for the Purple and Gold.
- The Bisons hit just 11-of-40 (27.5 percent) from beyond the arc.
- UNF held a 47-40 advantage on the boards but the Bisons held a 17-12 edge on the offensive glass. That helped Lipscomb own a 12-6 lead in second-chance points.
- Lipscomb also held a 16-9 advantage in turnovers that were converted into 28 points.
Up next: The Bisons return home on Wednesday night to host ASUN co-leader USC Upstate at 6:30 p.m. at Allen Arena. The contest will air on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app with Jonathan and Justin Seamon calling the action. To purchase tickets visit: http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).