SPARTANBURG, S.C. – A rematch that will feature just five days between meetings, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team makes the trek to Spartanburg, South Carolina on Monday night to take on USC Upstate in a battle of second-place teams in the ASUN Conference at 6 p.m. at the G.B. Hodge Center.
The contest features the 20th meeting all-time between the two schools. Lipscomb holds a 10-9 edge in the series after last Wednesday night’s come-from-behind win. The game will air live on ESPN3 and via the WatchESPN app.
- The Bisons 5-2 start in league play is the best in the Casey Alexander era and the fastest start in league play for Lipscomb since the 2009-10 season when the Purple and Gold started 6-2.
- Last Wednesday night’s contest against USC Upstate saw the Bisons dig themselves a 21-point deficit against the Spartans before a second-half rally saw Lipscomb claim an 84-77 win.
- Saturday’s win over NJIT marked the first win when Lipscomb scored fewer than 80 points and also the first win when shooting below 43 percent in a contest.
- After setting the school record for 3-pointers made in 2015-16 (331), the Bisons aerial attack is in full swing again this season. With 24 games in the books, Lipscomb ranks 5th in the NCAA with 242 treys made so far.
- Lipscomb is ranked tops in the nation in free-throws made (463) and attempts (649), and rank among the best in the nation in 3-point field goals attempted (4th, 668), and total assists (4th, 414).
- Garrison Mathews inked his name in the record books on at Jacksonville on Jan. 19 with a 39-point effort that erased Jeff Dancy’s mark of 38 against Tennessee State that had stood since 2002. The sophomore got to the total by hitting an all-time record 18 free throws in 21 attempts (a figure that tied the NCAA era mark.).
- The Bisons 112 points against Jacksonville are the most against a Division I opponent and the most scored in an ASUN game since Feb. 24, 2007. Lipscomb also set marks for FT made (38) and attempted (52).
- The January 5th game against Fisk was also full of record breaking for the Bisons as the team set an all-time school mark with 22 treys and the NCAA era marks for the most points scored (126) and most rebounds (71). Individually, Eli Pepper claimed the NCAA era mark for most rebounds with 25, Kenny Cooper delivered an NCAA era best 13 assists and Nathan Moran drained nine of the 22 triples to tie Jordan Burgasson for the most threes in the NCAA era. The game also saw the Bisons notch four double-doubles and place seven players in double figures.
- Moran collected ASUN Player of the Week honors for his play in the Bisons 81-76 win at Missouri on Dec. 29. Moran posted a then season-high, 22-point night against the Tigers as Lipscomb collected its first win over an SEC team since downing Vanderbilt in 1951. The Franklin, Tennessee native hit 5-of-10 beyond the arc, added five rebounds, three assists and three steals in the victory.
- Senior Josh Williams and Mathews both picked up ASUN Player of the Week honors in the month of December. Williams was honored on Dec. 20 after averaging 20.5 ppg including a game-winning trey at Tennessee Tech with 0.2 seconds remaining on the clock. Mathews earned league honors on Dec. 13 after averaging 30.5 points per game and six rebounds per outing. The Franklin, Tennessee native scored a career high 36 points against Morehead State, just two points shy of the Lipscomb NCAA era record. He hit 8-of-10 from beyond the arc to come up just one triple shy of tying that school mark as well. He opened the week with a 25-point effort against rival Belmont.
- Mathews and Williams are the first back-to-back winners for the Bisons since Josh Slater and Adnan Hodzic accomplished the feat in 2009-10.
- The wins by Moran, Williams and Mathews ties the most players to win in a season that was set in 2006-07 when Eddie Ard, Brian Fisk and Trey Williams earned league laurels in 2006-07.
- Earlier this season Moran became just the second Lipscomb player in the NCAA Division I era to eclipse the 300 assist mark joining Josh Slater, who finished with 462 all-time dishes, with an assist against Kennesaw State.
- Marberry notched an NCAA era record for the Bisons at Belmont by going a perfect 11-for-11 from the field. The feat broke the previous mark of 8-for-8 by Michael Teller in 2008 against USC Upstate and is the best by any player against Belmont in the NCAA era. His streak eventually reached 15 straight buckets before he missed his second shot against TSU.
- The ASUN league skippers voted Williams onto the preseason All-ASUN team. Williams returns for his final campaign after becoming the fastest player in the NCAA era to reach the 1,000 point mark last season. Williams became the 45th member of the exclusive club before a knee-injury sidelined him before the Christmas break. .
- Williams sits in 22nd place in all-time scoring with 1,399 after surpassing Tracey Sales and Malcolm Smith 1,333. The Jackson, Mississippi native ranks fifth among players in the NCAA Division I era. Up next on the scoring list is Allen Sharpe with 1,431.