MYERS, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team heads to Ft. Myers, Florida on Thursday night for a battle at the top of the ASUN Conference standings against league-leading FGCU at 6 p.m. at Alico Arena.
The contest will be the 19th meeting all-time between the two schools. The Bisons hold a 10-8 edge in the series but have not won at Alico Arena since 2013. The Eagles claimed an 84-80 victory over Lipscomb last month in the Music City.
The game will air live on ESPN3 and via the WatchESPN app.
- The Bisons 7-2 start in league play is the best in the Casey Alexander era and the fastest start in league play for Lipscomb since the 2005-06 season when the Purple and Gold started 9-2 en route to a 15-5 finish.
- After setting the school record for 3-pointers made in 2015-16 (331), the Bisons aerial attack is in full swing again this season. With 25 games in the books, Lipscomb ranks 4th in the NCAA with 264 treys made so far.
- Lipscomb is ranked tops in the nation in free-throws made (496) and attempts (685), and rank among the best in the nation in 3-point field goals attempted (4th, 727), and total assists (4th, 454). Garrison Mathews plays a large role in the trips to the charity stripe as he ranks 16th in the nation in fouls drawn per 40 minutes of action at 16.
- Mathews inked his name in the record books at Jacksonville on Jan. 19 with a 39-point effort that erased Jeff Dancy’s mark of 38 against Tennessee State that had stood since 2002. The sophomore got to the total by hitting an all-time record 18 free throws in 21 attempts (a figure that tied the NCAA era mark.).
- The Bisons 112 points against Jacksonville are the most against a Division I opponent and the most scored in an ASUN game since Feb. 24, 2007. Lipscomb also set marks for FT made (38) and attempted (52).
- The January 5th game against Fisk was also full of record breaking for the Bisons as the team set an all-time school mark with 22 treys and the NCAA era marks for the most points scored (126) and most rebounds (71). Individually, Eli Pepper claimed the NCAA era mark for most rebounds with 25, Kenny Cooper delivered an NCAA era best 13 assists and Nathan Moran drained nine of the 22 triples to tie Jordan Burgasson for the most threes in the NCAA era. The game also saw the Bisons notch four double-doubles and place seven players in double figures.
- Moran collected ASUN Player of the Week honors for his play in the Bisons 81-76 win at Missouri on Dec. 29. Moran posted a then season-high, 22-point night against the Tigers as Lipscomb collected its first win over an SEC team since downing Vanderbilt in 1951. The Franklin, Tennessee native hit 5-of-10 beyond the arc, added five rebounds, three assists and three steals in the victory.
- Senior Josh Williams and Mathews both picked up ASUN Player of the Week honors in the month of December. Williams was honored on Dec. 20 after averaging 20.5 ppg including a game-winning trey at Tennessee Tech with 0.2 seconds remaining on the clock. Mathews earned league honors on Dec. 13 after averaging 30.5 points per game and six rebounds per outing. The Franklin, Tennessee native scored a career high 36 points against Morehead State, just two points shy of the Lipscomb NCAA era record. He hit 8-of-10 from beyond the arc to come up just one triple shy of tying that school mark as well. He opened the week with a 25-point effort against rival Belmont.
- Mathews and Williams are the first back-to-back winners for the Bisons since Josh Slater and Adnan Hodzic accomplished the feat in 2009-10.
- The wins by Moran, Williams and Mathews ties the most players to win in a season that was set in 2006-07 when Eddie Ard, Brian Fisk and Trey Williams earned league laurels in 2006-07.
- Earlier this season Moran became just the second Lipscomb player in the NCAA Division I era to eclipse the 300 assist mark joining Josh Slater, who finished with 462 all-time dishes, with an assist against Kennesaw State.
- Marberry notched an NCAA era record for the Bisons at Belmont by going a perfect 11-for-11 from the field. The feat broke the previous mark of 8-for-8 by Michael Teller in 2008 against USC Upstate and is the best by any player against Belmont in the NCAA era. His streak eventually reached 15 straight buckets before he missed his second shot against TSU.
- The ASUN league skippers voted Williams onto the preseason All-ASUN team. Williams returns for his final campaign after becoming the fastest player in the NCAA era to reach the 1,000 point mark last season. Williams became the 45th member of the exclusive club before a knee-injury sidelined him before the Christmas break. .
- Williams sits in 21st place in all-time scoring with 1,435 after surpassing Allen Sharpe. The Jackson, Mississippi native ranks fifth among players in the NCAA Division I era. Up next on the all-time scoring list is Jerry Meyer with 1,463.