NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team will wrap up regular season home action against ASUN foe Jacksonville on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. at Allen Arena honoring seniors Cam Miller, Josh Williams and Brett Wishon. The contest will feature a Lou Bison bobblehead giveaway.
The game will be the 21st meeting all-time between the two schools. The Bisons hold a 16-14 edge all-time in the series after taking a 112-95 win in the “River city” last month.
The game will air live on ESPN3 and via the WatchESPN app with Jonathan and Justin Seamon calling the action from Don Meyer Court.
- The Bisons 9-2 start in league play prior to Thursday night’s loss was the best in the Casey Alexander era and matched the 2005-06 season for the best start in school history when the Purple and Gold finished 15-5.
- After setting the school record for 3-pointers made in 2015-16 (331), the Bisons aerial attack is in full swing again this season. With 28 games in the books, Lipscomb ranks 5th in the NCAA with 292 treys made so far. Garrison Mathews (71), Nathan Moran (72) and Josh Williams (69) combine to give the Bisons one of only two teams in the nation with three shooters with 65 made or more.
- Lipscomb is ranked tops in the nation in free-throws made (540) and attempts (743), and rank among the best in the nation in 3-point field goals attempted (4th, 814), and total assists (2nd, 512). Garrison Mathews plays a large role in the trips to the charity stripe as he ranks 17th in the nation in fouls drawn per 40 minutes of action at 7.3.
- Mathews inked his name in the record books at Jacksonville on Jan. 19 with a 39-point effort that erased Jeff Dancy’s mark of 38 against Tennessee State that had stood since 2002. The sophomore got to the total by hitting an all-time record 18 free throws in 21 attempts (a figure that tied the NCAA era mark.).
- Mathews heads into Saturday's game with 547 points on the season second most by any Lipscomb player in the NCAA era. Mathews trails Adnan Hodzic, who scored 682 in 2009-10. He also sits just with 146 made free throws, just 14 back of Josh Slater’s 160 mark for the single-season NCAA era record.
- The Bisons 112 points against Jacksonville are the most against a Division I opponent and the most scored in an ASUN game since Feb. 24, 2007. Lipscomb also set marks for FT made (38) and attempted (52).
- The January 5th game against Fisk was also full of record breaking for the Bisons as the team set an all-time school mark with 22 treys and the NCAA era marks for the most points scored (126) and most rebounds (71). Individually, Eli Pepper claimed the NCAA era mark for most rebounds with 25, Kenny Cooper delivered an NCAA era best 13 assists and Nathan Moran drained nine of the 22 triples to tie Jordan Burgasson for the most threes in the NCAA era. The game also saw the Bisons notch four double-doubles and place seven players in double figures.
- Moran collected ASUN Player of the Week honors for his play in the Bisons 81-76 win at Missouri on Dec. 29. Moran posted a then season-high, 22-point night against the Tigers as Lipscomb collected its first win over an SEC team since downing Vanderbilt in 1951. The Franklin, Tennessee native hit 5-of-10 beyond the arc, added five rebounds, three assists and three steals in the victory.
- Senior Josh Williams and Mathews both picked up ASUN Player of the Week honors in the month of December. Williams was honored on Dec. 20 after averaging 20.5 ppg including a game-winning trey at Tennessee Tech with 0.2 seconds remaining on the clock. Mathews earned league honors on Dec. 13 after averaging 30.5 points per game and six rebounds per outing. The Franklin, Tennessee native scored a career high 36 points against Morehead State, just two points shy of the Lipscomb NCAA era record. He hit 8-of-10 from beyond the arc to come up just one triple shy of tying that school mark as well. He opened the week with a 25-point effort against rival Belmont.
- Mathews and Williams are the first back-to-back winners for the Bisons since Josh Slater and Adnan Hodzic accomplished the feat in 2009-10.
- The wins by Moran, Williams and Mathews ties the most players to win in a season that was set in 2006-07 when Eddie Ard, Brian Fisk and Trey Williams earned league laurels in 2006-07.
- Earlier this season Moran became just the second Lipscomb player in the NCAA Division I era to eclipse the 300 assist mark joining Josh Slater, who finished with 462 all-time dishes, with an assist against Kennesaw State.
- The ASUN league skippers voted Williams onto the preseason All-ASUN team. Williams returns for his final campaign after becoming the fastest player in the NCAA era to reach the 1,000 point mark last season. Williams became the 45th member of the exclusive club before a knee-injury sidelined him before the Christmas break. .
- Williams sits in 21st place in all-time scoring with 1,461 after surpassing Allen Sharpe. The Jackson, Mississippi native ranks fifth among players in the NCAA Division I era. Up next on the all-time scoring list is Jerry Meyer with 1,463.