|February 27, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||NJIT||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.407 (24-59)||.613 (38-62)|
|3P FG Percentage||.348 (8-23)||.417 (10-24)|
|FT Percentage||.526 (10-19)||.611 (11-18)|
MATHEWS - 5
GREER - 1
TARKE - 1
COLEMAN - 1
JENKINS - 1
MARBERRY - 2
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nathan Moran missed the opening three attempt of the night but the next 12 shots in a row went down for the No. 2 Lipscomb men’s basketball team on Monday night in a 97-66 win over No. 7 NJIT in the quarterfinal round of the 2017 ASUN Conference Men’s Basketball Championship.
After Moran’s miss to open the game, the Bisons (20-12) did not miss a shot again until the 12:31 mark and by that time had a 29-7 lead over the Highlanders (11-20) and pushed the margin out to a 50-31 lead at halftime.
“It’s easy to say that the first five minutes were critical to the game with the mentality that our guys played with and getting off to such a great start,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “I love the mentality that our guys played the game with and approached the game with. That was important for us.”
Sophomore guard Garrison Mathews, who earlier in the week was named to the first-team All-ASUN squad, played a large role in that lead scoring 18 points in the first stanza en route to a game-high 30. The Franklin, Tennessee native hit 11-of-15 from the field including four treys in the win.
“Garrison has been a good scorer all year long,” said Alexander. “I could see early on that he had a lot of intentionality about him. He had a couple of really good possessions on both ends of the floor. It was a good night for him and for us.”
With the win, the Bisons advance to host the ASUN semifinal round on Thursday night hosting No. 3 seed North Florida at 7 p.m. at Allen Arena. To purchase tickets visit http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).
- The win moved the Bisons to 20-12 on the season marking just the second time in the NCAA era that the team eclipsed the 20-win mark. The previous time came in 2005-06 when the squad finished 21-11.
- Behind 38 field goals on the night, the Bisons pushed the season total to 907 surpassing the previous season best of 888 set in 2015-16.
- The Bisons also tied the season record for treys on Monday night matching the mark of 331 also set last season.
- Mathews was joined in double figures by Eli Pepper (14), Rob Marberry (14) and Nathan Moran (12).
- The Bisons notched 21 assists to 10 for the Highlanders. It marked the fifth-straight game of 20-plus assists and 12th this season.
- Lipscomb hit a season second-best 61.3 percent ahead of NJIT’s 40.7 percent.
- The Bisons held a 38-34 edge in rebounding. Marberry led the way with eight boards.
- NJIT was led in scoring by Anthony Tarke with a 21-point effort.
- Turnovers proved to be a big key in the contest as the Bisons forced 19 Highlander turnovers that were converted into 29 points. Lipscomb committed just 10 miscues in the game that led to 12 points for NJIT. A big part of the turnovers was a 5-steal effort by Kenny Cooper.
Up next: The No. 2 Bisons will host No. 3 North Florida on Thursday night at 7 p.m. at Allen Arena. Tickets start at $10 for adults and $5 for students. To purchase tickets visit http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).