|March 02, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||UNF||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.571 (28-49)||.464 (32-69)|
|3P FG Percentage||.667 (16-24)||.310 (9-29)|
|FT Percentage||.704 (19-27)||.750 (12-16)|
DAVENPORT - 7
COOPER - 3
BANKS - 1
DAVENPORT - 1
WILLIAMS - 2
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 2 Lipscomb men’s basketball team got a 29-point effort from Garrison Mathews as he became the fastest player in the NCAA era to reach the 1,000-point mark as a Bison but it would not be enough in a 91-85 loss to No. 3 North Florida in the semifinals of the 2017 ASUN Championship at Allen Arena in Nashville, Tennessee on Thursday night.
Mathews eclipsed the mark in the second half becoming the 47th player all-time to accomplish the feat doing so in 65 contests in Purple and Gold. He beat Josh William’s previous record of 67 games to reach the plateau.
“That’s a great accomplishment for Garrison,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “That’s something that is rarely done as a sophomore. The remarkable thing is that it really took Josh’s injury last year to thrust Garrison into the role where he had to give us more minutes and more production.
“That experience really served him well for where he is right now. He carried us all year offensively.”
The Ospreys (15-18) erupted for 12 first-half threes on 14 attempts and went on to hit 16-of-23 on the night. The Bisons (20-13) were held to just 7-of-20 beyond the arc in the loss.
"When North Florida's supporting cast to Dallas Moore is 14-of-20 for the game and 12-for-14 at halftime, it presents a tough mental hurdle for us," said Alexander. "They played with great confidence and took great shots that gave us a hole that was really tough to dig out of."
- Williams added 13 to Mathews’ 29 to join the exclusive 1,500 point club as the 20th member in school history and just the fifth in the NCAA Division I era.
- With the loss, the Bisons dropped to 0-3 on the season against the Ospreys and 1-4 in the semifinals of the ASUN Tournament.
- Mathews and Williams were joined in double figures by Rob Marberry (17) and Kenny Cooper (11).
- After trailing 45-32 at the half behind the Ospreys hot shooting, the Bisons cut the UNF lead to seven with 14:15 to play on a pair of free throws by Kenny Cooper but North Florida used a 10-0 run to retake a double-digit lead.
- Both teams notched 21 assists in the contest as Lipscomb posted a 20-plus assist effort for the sixth-straight contest.
- The Bisons held a 34-31 edge in rebounding behind a 10-board effort from Marberry as he collected a double-double to go along with five assists.
- Lipscomb also led in turnovers 23-15 as Williams and Cooper each grabbed three steals.
- Two-time ASUN Player of the Year Dallas Moore led the Ospreys with 18 points as part of five players in double figures.