|January 20, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.460 (29-63)||.460 (29-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.458 (11-24)||.357 (10-28)|
|FT Percentage||.867 (13-15)||.708 (17-24)|
MATHEWS - 20
ROSE - 20
IYIOLA - 6
RIVERA - 1
MYLES - 1
DOYLE - 1
MATHEWS - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team used four players in double figures including a trio of 20-point scorers to down ASUN foe Stetson 85-82 on Saturday afternoon at Allen Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.
The game was a back-and-forth affair that featured 11 lead changes and 10 ties as the Bisons (12-8, 2-3 ASUN) held on for the win over the Hatters (10-12, 2-3 ASUN).
“Our team needed a win,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “Sometimes coaches like to talk about all kinds of things, but sometimes you just need to win a game. Hopefully, this will get the monkey off our back. It’s not like we were in desperate measures or anything, but we played like we were and it felt like we were. I couldn’t find the right buttons to release the tensions. Hopefully the win will do it.”
One of the three, 20-point scorers was sophomore Matt Rose, who was in the starting lineup for the first time since Nov 11. The Lexington, Kentucky native answered the call with a career high as he hit 6-of-8 from the field including 5-of-7 from beyond the arc. Juniors Rob Marberry and Garrison Mathews each added 20.
The trio was joined in double figures by sophomore Kenny Cooper, who added a dozen and delivered a season high eight assists.
“We’ve got to figure out a way to be a more consistent team,” said Alexander. “We go through periods defensively where they score five out of six times or six out of eight times. Then we go through periods offensively where we don’t score five out of six times or six out of eight times. That’s what we did so well before this recent stretch.”
- Lipscomb held a 39-32 edge in rebounding thanks to a game-high, 14-rebound effort from Eli Pepper.
- Both teams hit 46 percent from the field overall, but the Hatters held a 45.8-35.7 percent edge from beyond the arc.
- The Bisons made a change in the starting lineup for the first time in 18 games as Rose replaced Michael Buckland. The Bisons improve to 3-0 when Cooper, Rose, Mathews, Pepper and Marberry start.
- Lipscomb held a slight edge hitting 17 shots from the charity stripe ahead of Stetson’s baker’s dozen.
- Despite the 11 lead changes, Lipscomb held a 27:14 to 9:21 edge in time with the lead.
Up next: The Bisons continue home ASUN action on Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. hosting USC Upstate at Allen Arena. To purchase tickets visit www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-946-HERD (4373).