|January 29, 2018||1st||2nd||1OT||2OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UPST|
|FG Percentage||.453 (34-75)||.385 (35-91)|
|3P FG Percentage||.296 (8-27)||.237 (9-38)|
|FT Percentage||.723 (34-47)||.871 (27-31)|
CUNNINGHAM - 3
THOMPKINS - 3
BUCKLAND - 1
COOPER - 1
BRAMMEIER - 1
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – It took a career best 38 points from junior Rob Marberry for the Lipscomb men’s basketball team to survive 110-106 in double-overtime to ASUN Conference foe USC Upstate at the G.B. Hodge Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina on Monday night.
“We’ve got some tired guys,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “You’re willing to fight through it when you win for sure. I challenged our guys with 40 seconds left defensively and they didn’t score after that. Our guys played really hard and found a way to win a game on the road when we weren’t our best. That’s very important in league play.”
The Spartans (6-19, 1-7 ASUN) had no answer for the Nashville native, who hit 13-of-19 from the field and 12-of-19 from the line. Marberry eclipsed his own career best of 29 that he had tied on Saturday.
“Rob had two, really big games coming into this one,” said Alexander. “We knew that they would struggle to guard him because of the rhythm that he’s in. We did a nice job feeding and he did a nice job catching the ball in close to the rim so he could have nice, clean attempts at the basket and his numbers were very good.”
Garrison Mathews collected his 1,500th career point as he added 25 including eight after regulation to help lead the Bisons (15-8, 5-3 ASUN) to the win. Lipscomb also got a big lift off the bench from sophomore guard Michael Buckland, who scored 15 points dished out seven assists and added five rebounds.
The win was the 100th of Casey Alexander’s career having notched 76 wins with the Bisons following 24 victories while head coach at Stetson.
“I’m happy to get win 100,” said Alexander. “I love the staff that has been here with me and all of the players that I’ve coached. I hope that there is a lot more wins to come.”
USC Upstate’s Deion Holmes led all scorers with a 39-point night as he hit 13-of-25 from the floor and 13-of-14 from the line to go along with a dozen rebounds for a double-double.
- Marberry joined Mathews as the only two players in the NCAA era for the Bisons with 38 or more points.
- Lipscomb held a 45.3 percent to 38.5 percent edge in shooting overall and a 29.6 percent to 23.7 percent lead in 3-point shooting.
- Both teams shot the ball incredibly well from the charity strip with the Spartans hitting 87.1 percent (27-31) ahead of the Bisons hitting 72.3 percent (34-47).
- The Bisons owned a 48-42 advantage in points in the paint.
- USC Upstate claimed a slim 53-51 edge in rebounding
- Matt Rose and Kenny Cooper joined in the double-figure scoring for the Bisons with 11 and 10, respectively.
- The double-overtime game was the first for the Bisons since the season opener in 2015-16 when Lipscomb downed Santa Clara 65-63.
Up next: The Bisons return home on Saturday to host ASUN foe NJIT at Allen Arena. The contest features the annual Adoption Rally and Star Wars Day. The 4 p.m. game will air on ESPN3. To purchase tickets visit http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).