|February 10, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||UNF||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.528 (28-53)||.446 (33-74)|
|3P FG Percentage||.458 (11-24)||.200 (4-20)|
|FT Percentage||.727 (8-11)||.667 (12-18)|
MATHEWS - 6
COOPER - 6
COOPER - 3
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team closes out its three-game homestand Saturday afternoon when the North Florida Ospreys visit Allen Arena for a 4 p.m. ASUN Conference tilt.
Although the Bisons (16-9, 6-4 ASUN) have been pretty successful against league opponents while under head coach Casey Alexander, they have had some problems with North Florida. On Saturday the Purple and Gold will be looking to get that monkey off their back as the Ospreys (11-16, 5-5 ASUN) have owned the series of late, winning four straight and eight of the last nine against Lipscomb.
In total, Saturday will represent the 27th-meeting in the all-time in the series with the Ospreys owning a 16-10 advantage. North Florida used 14 three-pointers en route to a 102-96 win over Lipscomb earlier this season in Jacksonville.
Lipscomb is coming off perhaps its best overall performance of the season after routing Jacksonville 82-59 to move into a tie for second place in the league standings.
The matchup will be a part of Lipscomb’s Employee Appreciation Day presented by Ascend Federal Credit Union. All Lipscomb employees and their families will receive free admission to the game, and the first 500 will get a free t-shirt.
The contest will air on ESPN3 with Jonathan and Justin Seamon on the call.
SCOUTING NORTH FLORIDA:
UNF comes to Nashville fresh off an 89-81 loss to Kennesaw State on Thursday, despite the Owls shooting just 39%. They are 3-13 in games away from their home floor – those wins are at Florida A&M, USC Upstate and Stetson.
The Ospreys are 4-4 since hosting Lipscomb on Jan. 11. All four of their losses were by at least eight points, including a 33-point thrashing from FGCU.
In the ASUN, North Florida is first in three-pointer made (10.9), attempted (29.4) and percentage (36.9), as well as free throw percentage (75.7), blocks per game (3.6) and fouls per game (15.7).
They are second in the nation in total 3-pointers made (293) and their 10.6 per outing is ninth best.
Offensively five players are averaging double figures in scoring, paced by Ivan Gandia-Rosa’s 13.8. His 6.0 assists per game are the 21st best assist numbers across Division I.
Noah Horchler is the ASUN leader in rebounds (8.6) and double-doubles (10). He is averaging 15.6 points and 11.4 boards in conference play with six double-doubles.
- The meeting will see the ASUN’s top two offenses with the Bisons pouring in 81.2 points per outing, compared to 80.2 from the Ospreys.
- Lipscomb is 9-2 at Allen Arena this season, just two wins shy of matching last year’s total of 11.
- The Bisons rank third and fourth in the nation, respectively, in free throw attempted (644) and free throws made (457).
- Pulling down 40.48 rebounds per game, Lipscomb stands 12th
- Garrison Mathews, fresh off a 23-point outing against Jacksonville, leads the ASUN and ranks 12th in the country in scoring at 22.4 per game. Rob Marberry is eight in the conference at 15.2 ppg.
- Eli Pepper enters Saturday tied for second in the ASUN in rebounding at 8.3 per game. That number rises to 9.6 in conference games. He has double-digit boards in five of the last six contests.
- Michael Buckland (40.3) and Matt Rose (38.7) have the highest shooting percentages on the team from behind the arc.
- Mathews sits third on the program’s NCAA era scoring list with 1,572 career points. He is 30 points behind Josh Slater for second most.
- At home this season, the Bisons are averaging 84.5 points and 8.6 triples per game.
Lipscomb travels to the Sunshine State for its final road games of the ASUN regular season next weekend. The Bisons first take on Stetson in DeLand at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 15 before taking on the ASUN leader FGCU Saturday, Feb. 17 at 6 p.m. in Fort Myers.