|February 17, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.569 (33-58)||.484 (30-62)|
|3P FG Percentage||.381 (8-21)||.250 (6-24)|
|FT Percentage||.762 (16-21)||.778 (21-27)|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – In a matchup featuring the top two teams in the ASUN Conference, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team heads to Alico Arena on Saturday night for its final road game of the season against Florida Gulf Coast at 6 p.m. The Bisons will be going for their fourth straight win, and their eighth in the last nine outings.
Lipscomb (18-9, 8-4 ASUN) owns an 11-9 advantage in the series all-time against the Eagles (20-9, 11-1 ASUN), however, it was FGCU who came to Nashville in mid-January and escaped with the victory after erasing an 18-point, second-half deficit. The last three meetings in the series have been decided by five points or less.
The game will air live on ESPN3 and via the WatchESPN app.
FGCU enters its final home game of the regular season having already clinched the ASUN crown. The Eagles won their first 11 league games before falling, 97-93, at home to Kennesaw State Thursday night. It snapped a 13-game win streak for FGCU, which was the fourth-longest streak in the country.
The Eagles are third in the ASUN in scoring at 80.3 points per game, while holding opponents to 70.0. That +10.3 scoring margin is tops in the conference. They have shot over .500 in the last three games, and in four of their last five.
The 28.41 defensive rebounds per game is the 19th best total in the country.
Brandon Goodwin is the Eagles’ top scorer (17.8), rebounder (5.7) and assist man (4.8). Zach Johnson is the next highest scorer at 14.9, followed by Christian Terrell’s 11.6.
- The Bisons are two wins away from recording their first-ever back-to-back 20-win seasons in the NCAA Division I era.
- Garrison Mathews enters the game four points shy of tying Josh Slater (1,602) for second most on the program’s career scoring list in the NCAA era.
- Kenny Cooper is second in the ASUN in steals at 2.0 per game. FGCU’s Johnson is first at 2.1.
- Lipscomb possesses the ASUN’s top offense at 81.3 points per game.
- Mathews is on track to become the first Bisons player to lead the league in scoring average since Adnan Hodzic (22.7; 2009- 10). Mathews currently scores 21.7 PPG & 22.0 in ASUN games.
- Rob Marberry landed a share of the ASUN Player of the Week honor on Monday after averaged 24.5 PPG, which included a career-best 39 points in the win vs. North Florida. Marberry trails only teammate Garrison Mathews for scoring in league play.
- The Bisons are averaging 85.8 PPG in league play; first in the conference ahead of North Florida (85.3).
- Senior Aaron Korn is coming off an 11-point, 9-rebound effort at Stetson on Thursday. It was a career high rebounds for the guard.
- The Bisons rank second and fifth in the nation, respectively, in free throws attempted (689) and free throws made (489).
- Pulling down 40.22 rebounds per game, Lipscomb stands 12thin the country.
Lipscomb returns to the Music City for its final game of the regular season at Allen Arena on senior night. The Bisons will welcome Kennesaw State at 6:30 on Thursday, Feb. 22. The first round of the ASUN Championship would follow on Monday, Feb. 26, a game the Bisons will host after clinching with a victory at Stetson.