|November 10, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSUMBB||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.414 (29-70)||.491 (28-57)|
|3P FG Percentage||.323 (10-31)||.214 (3-14)|
|FT Percentage||.846 (11-13)||.871 (27-31)|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team improved to 2-0 on the young season with an 86-79 win over Tennessee State on Saturday afternoon at Allen Arena in Nashville.
The game was tight throughout with neither team managing a double-digit lead. The Bisons (2-0) led by as many as nine at the 9:28 mark of the opening stanza when Andrew Fleming burried one of two from the line.
Tennessee State (0-1) used an early 5-0 run after halftime to capture its first lead of the night. They eventually built it to a 4-point advantage midway through the second half before Garrison Mathews quickly erased the deficit with a pair of free throws and a bucket from the lane.
With the game tied at 76 with 3:01 to play, the Bisons took charge and mounted a game-clinching 10-3 run the rest of the way to finish off a perfect homecoming afternoon in Allen.
The Bisons got a career high 24 points from junior guard Kenny Cooper, who hit 7-of-13 from the field and 10-of-12 from the charity stripe.
He was joined in double figures by seniors Garrison Mathews, who scored 23, and Eli Pepper, who grabbed his first double-double of the season with a monster 19-point, 17-rebound effort. It matched the second-most rebounds Pepper has ever had in a single game - he also pulled down 17 as a freshman on the road at Kennesaw State in 2016.
- Cooper added five rebounds and two steals, while scoring nine of the first 11 points for the Bisons.
- Pepper shot 70% from the field (7-10) and recorded his eighth career double-double.
- The Bisons were able to get to the free throw line and made sure to cash in on the opportunity going 27-31 from the stripe.
- Michael Buckland was the top assist-man for the Purple and Gold. In 33 minutes of action he dished out four assists
- Tennessee State put up 31 threes and shot 32% from long range, while the Bisons only shot 21% and went 3-14 behind the arc.
- The Bisons came up big on the boards totaling 40 as a team. Tennessee State gathered 33 total rebounds.
- Lipscomb forced 14 turnovers and converted 17 points off of those turnovers.
The Bisons host the Battle of the Boulevard against Belmont on Thursday Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. The game will air on ESPN+ .