|November 17, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||SMU|
|FG Percentage||.472 (25-53)||.413 (26-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.308 (8-26)||.360 (9-25)|
|FT Percentage||.778 (21-27)||.600 (12-20)|
MARBERRY - 16
- 7||Ethan Chargois
- 5||Jimmy Whitt Jr.
JONES - 2
- 1||Ethan Chargois
Feron Hunt - 1
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team hits the road for the first time this season with a two-game trip to Texas. The Bisons travel to Dallas on Saturday for a 6 p.m. tip with SMU in Moody Coliseum. Lipscomb continues the trip at TCU on Tuesday.
For fans who can't make the trip, the game will be streamed on ESPN3 with David Saltzman and Stephen Howard on the call. Live stats will be also be provided throughout the game HERE. In-game updates will be available at twitter.com/LipscombMBB.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Bisons (2-1) will look to get back on track after a slow start Thursday helped them to an 87-83 loss to Belmont.
- The team hit just one of their first nine attempts from the field, helping the Bruins build an 11-point lead in the first seven minutes.
- Senior Garrison Mathews poured in a season high 27 points in the loss and shot .500% from the field. He also drained 8-of-9 from the line to push his season average to 91%.
- Kenny Cooper added 18 points, five assists, four rebounds and three steals for Lipscomb.
- Rob Marberry made his season debut for the Purple and Gold with 27 minutes. He chipped in 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting with four assists and three boards.
- Michael Buckland was the fourth Bison in double figures with 13 points.
- Belmont outshot Lipscomb 54.8% (34-62) to 44.4% (28-63).
- This is the first-ever meeting between the programs.
- The Mustangs enter the weekend 2-1 on the young season, but after knocking off Western Carolina (98-65) on Wednesday.
- SMU opened the season with a 69-58 victory over Northwestern State last Thursday before dropping a 74-64 decision against Southern Miss on Sunday in the opening game of the 2018 Cancun Challenge. Both games were at home.
- Since the start of the 2014-15 season, SMU is 65-9 at home. The loss to USM halted a 33-game win streak at home against nonconference foes – which was the 7th-longest active streak in the country.
- Head coach Tim Jankovich is in his third year at the helm of the program. The Mustangs are 58-22 overall and 40-6 at home under his tenure.
- Seniors Jarrey Foster and Jahmal McMurray were selected to the preseason All-American Athletic Conference team after the duo combined to average 27.5 points and 8.6 rebounds in 2017-18.
- They also return starters – Jimmy Whitt Jr. and Ethan Chargois.
- McMurray leads the team this season with 20.0 points per game and a team-high 11 long balls. His average took a big jump Wednesday after a 34-point performance against WCU where he his 14-of-17 field goal attempts.
- Chargois is pouring in 15.3 points and 9.0 rebounds per game in 87 minutes on the floor.
- Whitt Jr. is the third Mustang to average double figures at 11.7. He is also pulling down 5.7 boards.
- Averaging 77.0 points per game, the Mustangs are hitting 45% of its shots from the floor, including a 35.6% clip from long range.
- SMU ranks 18th nationally pulling down 18.5 offensive boards per outing.
STATS AND NOTES
- Preseason ASUN Player of the Year Garrison Mathews paces the way for the Bisons with 22.0 points per game on 51% shooting from the floor. The senior guard is 20-of-22 (.909) from the charity stripe and is pulling down 4.0 boards each time out. He leads five Bisons who are averaging double-figures in points.
- Kenny Cooper is chipping in 16.0 points, 4.3 rebounds, 4.0 steals and 3.0 assists per game. He has knocked down 18-of-24 from the line (.750).
- Senior postman Rob Marberry made his season debut Thursday and added 12 points, three rebounds and four assists.
- Ahsan Asadullah is second on the squad with 7.0 boards each time out to go along with 10.0 points.
- Eli Pepper is averaging a near double-double with 10.0 points and 9.3 rebounds per contest.
- Lipscomb ranks 19th nationally with 63 made free throws. It’s 76.8% from the line is top-50.
- Cooper set a career high with seven swipes in the opener against Sewanee. It was part of a 20-theft night for the Bisons - the second most in a single game in the NCAA era (24 vs. Oakland City in 2008).
- Lipscomb is sixth in the NCAA with 12.3 steals each time out. They swiped 10 against the Bruins Thursday. Cooper is third nationally with 12 total steals and fourth with 4.0 per game.
- Pepper recorded a monster 19-point, 17-rebound effort against TSU last weekend. It matched the second-highest rebound total of his career.
- Nate Moran adds a wealth of experience and leadership this season after returning from injury a year ago. He enters Saturday 9 points shy of 1,000 for his career (991).
- Lipscomb was tabbed the ASUN Conference preseason favorite by a vote of the league’s skippers and the league’s media members. The Bisons return their top six scorers from a season ago.
- The Purple and Gold return one of the most-experience teams in the country as 91.5 percent of the offense is back from a team that ranked 23rdin the nation averaging 82.1 points per game.
- With a total of 6,3066 points, the Bisons have the most career points on the roster than any other team in the country. Kansas State is second with 4,770.
- Lipscomb also returned 92 percent of its assists from a year ago when the Bisons averaged 15.7 per game.
- Mathews enters Saturday with 1,543 career points, most among all active ASUN players. He led the league with 21.7 points per outing last season.
The Bisons continue their tour of Texas with a 30-minute trip west to Fort Worth where they will lock horns with TCU on Tuesday. The Bisons and Horned Frogs will throw things up at 7 p.m.