ATLANTA, Ga. - Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews earned his record-setting ninth career ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week honor, announced by the league office on Sunday.
Mathews guided the Bisons to two victories over the past six days as he produced two 22-point games in limited minutes as the Bisons sit at 9-3 for the season.
The senior guard opened with 22 points in only 16 minutes on the court in a rout of Covenant as he added five rebounds and two steals on Monday.
On Friday against Vermont, a top-25 mid-major team, Mathews tamed the Catamounts with 22 points, nine rebounds and two steals in a 91-66 victory. He swished six treys in the win after connecting on his first four attempts.
Mathews sits third in the league for scoring at 17.8 PPG after his two contests and passed Centenary's Willie Jackson for the most all-time Player of the Week selections.
The Bisons are back in action at 2 p.m. on December 30 when they travel to Clemson, South Carolina to take on the Tigers in their final nonconference contest of the year.
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Senior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn. | Criminal Justice
- Ninth Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; most in league history
- Guided Bisons to 2-2 record with two home victories vs. Vermont & Covenant
- Tallied 22 points in Lipscomb's 119-48 win vs. Covenant in only 16 minutes
- Added five rebounds and two steals; shot 8-of-13 from the field & 3-of-5 from deep
- Scored 22 vs. Vermont in 91-66 win against a top-25 mid-major program
- Grabbed nine rebounds with two steals in only 26 minutes of action